Project 87

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 87

I thought for entertainment purposes that I would share the buildup of the latest project car. I had never owned a 3rd. generation f-body before and I happened to be in the right place at the right time, the right mood, had a few extra bucks tucked aside and I found what I thought to be a diamond in the rough. I struck a deal for an amount that I am too embarassed to post. The car initally did look pretty rough.

It is an 87 TransAm, L98 tuned port 350, WS6. It is an unmolested (relatively) car. The powertrain, emission controls, accessories are all there. There are no butchered wires except the radio harness, it's all intact. High mileage (201K), but it runs strong with no shakes, noises or smoke. Actually pulls pretty good for a stocker. That's the good part.

The bad parts: The rear hatch is a POS. Evidently the rear hatch broke and this one was swapped in place. The hinges are bent, there is rust, it won't line up and the wing is pretty trashed. The wing is a common problem by the way. The A/C looks new but the previous owner removed the belt from the A/C and the air pump. Now on to the paint. Typical neglected black paint with chips a few dings and scratches. Some will buff out, some stuff won't. Ultimately I think I can save the sides and roof, but the hood and front bumper will likely need a repaint. That is the last thing anyway, the mechanicals need addressing first. The exhaust is kinda funny, I'll elaborate more at a later time. The interior is complete only a couple different colors. , the console is ragged and the list goes on and on.

So... I'll post updates on broken stuff and the repairs. Some of the stuff I haven't told you about is kinda funny, but in the end you will see why I ultimately thought I could save this car from certain death for next to nothing. The butchering process had already begun by the previous owner. A Kid who really didn't know what he was doing and his father who wisely made him sell it before it went too far. He had been trying to sell it for way more than what I paid, we struck a deal under the stipulation that I had to give him a a few days to find another vehicle. He was still driving it. When I talked with his father, he tipped me off that his son kept stalling by pricing the car higher in the hopes that it wouldn't sell. He did say that he had told him that the first offer he got, he better take it or else he wasn't going to help him out on the new purchase. Ah..... dear old dad.

That's how I happen to be in the right place at the right time.

You won't believe some of the stupid stuff I've come across.

Re: Project 87

Originally posted by Joe 1320

You won't believe some of the stupid stuff I've come across.
    I need a good laugh... lets hear it already!!!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

come on joe, share some of the good stuff!
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Post some pictures!
        Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Yeah show something
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Here are a few basic exterior pics. I've since started the exterior cleanup. I still have a few pics to take of the interior.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...a/f8b0cf94.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...2/f8b0cf75.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...2/f8b0cf85.jpg

As far as wanting some details, here's the fist stupid thing I found. The previous owner said the dash lights quit working. So he pulled off the face plate and used a led light set, one led in each gauge cluster just hanging there (green by the way), wired 12v source with nothing but a small switch.
            This has got to go away quickly.

Ya know, I always thought replacing bulbs is a whole lot easier than wiring a new lighting system.

Comment

Cool, I like the wheels.

One thing I noticed on the pics is the antenna. I would drive me nuts seeing it leaning forward. I guess a good excuse to drive fast to bend it back.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                Cool, I like the wheels.

One thing I noticed on the pics is the antenna. I would drive me nuts seeing it leaning forward. I guess a good excuse to drive fast to bend it back.
                The wheels are... well, I"m not sure. I think I like them enough but I don't think the package really belongs on here. I already have a set of 16x8 black mesh with the polished outer rim that I use on my GNX clone. At the moment, these are going to stay on here for at least a month or two while I work on the car. Then it's swap city.

Yeah, the power antenna is toast. The same design as on my GN. In my humble opinion, a stupid place to put it. I've always hated an antenna on the front fender. I much prefer it in the back. I guess because I don't want to see it while I'm driving. I'll get to that eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X