OPTISPARK?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPTISPARK?????

My opti is on its way out i think, i have had it on the computer and no problems show up. Also had starting problems and low a low RPM stumble, problem showed up as soon as i put on on a ACCEL coil and went away when i took it off, is the coil causing problems? Would also like to know where i can get a decent priced opti, i live in canada and the dealership wants $700 cdn for the the opti, can i get it cheaper in the states, factoring in the exchange and shipping and is there any aftermarket alternatives to opti?

The best price on a vented Opti is about $US190, from:

Jason Cromer
    Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac
    staylorservice@cybertron.com
    877-726-8295

There is a guy making "billet" Opti replacements, supposedly with upgraded internals, like the bearing and seals, but its about $US600.

I would be a little suspicious of the replacement coil if the problems only showed up when you had the replacement on.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Are you using the ACCEL ingnition box? If so be suspicous there as well, I have one and have had nothing but problems from day 1.

I would go with what Fred said and make sure your having the same problem with the stock coil, If not then it's time to ditch the ACCEL.

Hyper

Comment

I agree with making sure the coil is the culprit first..... the opti is a time consuming fix. FYI, autozone now sells a complete plug and play opti for $140.

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but....

Does the 3800 engine have an optispark too? Because I have been having probs with my car starting and running really rough for the first 10 seconds or so lately. It doesn't do it every time, just once in about ten starts. Just curious.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Your in luck!

The 3800 has a 'solid state' ignition which is what the new LS1's have. Back in the day when Buick had the engine it was one of the most advanced engines GM had made. I'm talking early 80's here. I wished the LT1 had the solid state ingnition. It would have eleviated a whole lot of headaches.
            The 3800 has three seperate coils and 1 spark in the compression stroke and one on the exhast stroke. I little different than the LS1 but a very good ignition.
            I think all you need are wires for the 3800 if you have any problems at all with the ignition.
            LT4KM, 160 degree TS, MAF ends, TB-bypass
            1.6 Roller Rockers, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9" Wheels F/R, 275/40R17 Goodyear F1 tires.
            WS6 Muffler, LS1 Alum. Drive shaft. 21mm rear sway bar
            Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Working...
            X