Spark plugs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plugs?

I've always wanted a camaro, but I knew getting one it would be tough to get to the spark plugs. Looking at my friends 01 SS, I thought it would be impossible. I've got a 97 Z28, how do I get to those plugs? What's a shop gonna charge to do it?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

A shop will charge you an arm and a leg..... probably $500 to do plugs and wires. You can do them yourself. 1,3,5,7 on the driver's side are fairly easy. I did them all from below with no problems. #2 requires that you remove the alternator. #4 and #6 I did from the top as well, not much problem just a little tight. #8 is kind of a pain. I removed the flywheel inspection cover, unbolted the starter and let it sit on the crossmember but pushed slightly forward. A few extensions and #8 is done. If it were not for #2 and #8 I would have been done in a little over an hour. Those other two doubled the repair time. The tools you will need are a spark plug socket, various sized extentions (especially a 1 1/2" extension needed for the #2 plug), a flex joint and ratcheting box wrenches. The ratcheting wrench is used when an extension or regular ratchet doesn't fit. The ratcheting box end wrench slips on the end of the spark plug socket and away you go in tight clearances. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks, I had actually planned on buying plugs and wires(and all those other things like starter) until I looked under the hood.
      -----------------------
      1994 Camaro
      -----------------------
      3.4 SFI
      Z28 interior
      Imco Exaust(its okay)
      Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

-----------------------------
      1978 Firebird Formula
      -----------------------------
      Pontiac 350
      Turbo 350 Transmission
      Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
      Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
      Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
      Edelbrock Valve Covers
      Flowmaster Dual Exaust

Comment

Thanks Joe. If it can be done without lifting the motor out, I can handle it
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          Thanks Joe. If it can be done without lifting the motor out, I can handle it
          Let me know if you run into any snags.

Comment

The only times ive ever changed my plugs are when Ive had the motor ripped apart
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
            X