Thinking of making a purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of making a purchase

I am thinking of buying an F-body with a LS1. I was just wondering how reliable the car is. My impressions say that it is very reliable because it has large displacement motor with somewhat lower compression, less mechanical moving parts, and an engine design that has been around for a long long time. It also has a very strong transmission and such.

Correct me if I am wrong? If anyone has major problems what kind of problems do they encounter?

Re: Thinking of making a purchase

Originally posted by hkyplaynazn
    I am thinking of buying an F-body with a LS1. I was just wondering how reliable the car is. My impressions say that it is very reliable because it has large displacement motor with somewhat lower compression, less mechanical moving parts, and an engine design that has been around for a long long time. It also has a very strong transmission and such.

Correct me if I am wrong? If anyone has major problems what kind of problems do they encounter?
    Hey! Welcome to the forums!! Its hard to say whats going to go wrong with a car. All cars have problems, and things go wrong. I think i can speak for everyone here when i say that we love our cars! And we (of course) are going to be biast against most other vehicles. So, asking us what we think of our cars is not going to give you a good overview because we are biast. The Camaro is an awsome all around car, quick as is - but also easy accepts upgrades. Test drive one... im sure you'll love it!
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

As a daily driver, the cars are very dependable and all kinds of fun to drive. The LS1 is an awesome motor. If you want to understand the problem areas of the car (and every brand of car has problem areas), just spend some time reviewing posts in the technical areas of any F-Body or LS1 board. If you are going to race the car there are some weak points such as the rear end. The LS1 motor is pretty rock solid but a number of folks (including me) have the dreaded "piston slap" when the motor is cold......it's nothing to worry about...just an annoyance that goes away in a couple of minutes. Brake rotors seem to warp quite a bit but that can be easily taken care of with a good set of aftermarket rotors. These are some of the more commonly reported issues.
      Dave S
      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
      X