Mushy Brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushy Brakes

Hey everyone, got an annoying brake issue. 95 T/A Auto, (no trac control, but has ABS).

My pedal has always been on the mushy side, not very strong at the hit at all. I replaced front and rear pads and rotors, bled the heck out of all four corners (in proper order). Once new parts are installed, it works fine, but after the pads seat and get a little wear, it goes back to it's old tricks. (Pads are Perf. Friction carbon metallics, rotors are cheap auto parts deals). I also dissasembled every caliper and lubed the slide pins. There is no unusual wear on any pad.

my brake fluid looked black and smelled weird, like it was contaminated, so I bled it out until I had a more acceptable color.

Now, this problem has been around for a while, like around 40,000 miles. It tends to get worse in wet weather, and better the hotter I get the brakes.

I can pump the brakes once, and the situation sometimes gets better, so I was thinking maybe a master cyl, but the problem hasn't worsened since it started (the seals havent completely blown out)

Any Ideas?

Could it be air in the Master Cylinder? Maybe someone before you tried bleeding and ran the master cylinder dry.

I'd start from the master, bleed it, then go from there.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

im with ^^^

same thing happend on my car. n thats what dad said the problem was cuz he fixed it. ( doesnt trust me to mess with my own breaks .... go figure)
      -Nick-
      95 A4 Z28

Comment

Working...
      X