Dead Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Battery

Me mum just emailed me from the States, and told me that she tried to start my car, but the battery is dead.

I have a $400 LS1edit tuning on that machine... I think I already know the answer to this question... but that programming is gone, isn't it?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Don't think so

Jay,
    I'm pretty sure that tuning information is stored on the firmware chip housed inside of the cars computer. It wouldn't be any different from HyperTech Power Programmers, because if you lost the programming just from a dead battery, I would imagine you would hear about people saying their Hypertechs couldn't program their cars again because the car would be back to original specs and the programmer would think that the car was already programmed. I wouldn't worry to much, I'm sure you are okay.

Current Project: 1986 Buick T-type, 71K miles
    Previous Vehicles:
    99' M6 Z28
    98' M6 TA
    97' Formula
    96' RS Camaro
    93' Z28 B4C pckg.

Comment

No problem

You have nothing to worry about.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Then why is it that disconnecting the battery when you are doing mods resets the computer to original specs?

I know I disconnected it one night before I had the tuning done, and it definitely didn't have a clue what it was doing when I turned it on the next morning.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Haven't done any programming nor have I looked into it.

But I think the main programming is done and stored in a ROM chip and it doesn't get erased when the power goes out. Similar to the Bios settings of your home PC.

Other info maybe stored in a RAM chip. The data erases once you loose power. I think it stores the SES codes on something like that. Once you pull the fuse for a while they are gone.

Anybody has some more detail on this?
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The programming is flashed onto the chips and is non-volatile. The short term & long term fueling corrections and codes are in ram and will be wiped when the battery is disconnected or dead. The car will be fine, but it will have to relearn it's optimal settings for 50 miles or so.

Comment

Well, I got home today, and started her up... to my dismay she stumbled immediately and nearly stalled if I wouldn't have given a blip of the throttle to keep the revs up. It had no idea where to idle, so I took it around the block and performed a wicked tap dance with my feet to keep the revs up while braking or the car was in neutral... very tricky to apply the right brake pressure with your left foot

After a while, she tried idling at 400 RPMs... but wasn't stalling. Finally it came back up to the 800-900 range where it should be.

Do you guys still think all my programming is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                Haven't done any programming nor have I looked into it.

But I think the main programming is done and stored in a ROM chip and it doesn't get erased when the power goes out. Similar to the Bios settings of your home PC.

Other info maybe stored in a RAM chip. The data erases once you loose power. I think it stores the SES codes on something like that. Once you pull the fuse for a while they are gone.

Anybody has some more detail on this?
                Rene is pretty much on the money. All of the tables, timing curve, fuel maps, etc. that were flashed will still be there in a EEPROM chip within the PCM. Some of the the constantly fluctuating fuel trim tables and otherwise open loop settings will be reset when power is lost to the PCM. They are stored in a small area of physical memory that needs a small electrical charge in order to retain the data.

Go run her for awhile and let the car fully warm up. Then run the car at WOT through the gears several times. This should help.

Comment

Jay, Jay, Jay...Listen to the two Kevins. We program our heaps.

Comment

Thanks guys. I especially like the advice to "give her some WOT" runs up through the gears... hahahaha, no problem, Kevins.

Comment

Working...
                    X