Transmission??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission??

I just got done hauling all my crap from Reno to Vegas, and im car is acting 'funny'. In OD, if i push the peddle down about half way, my car kinda jerks n it sounds like my drivetrain(?) slips... Or like last night, i was at a red light with a TA just playin around. The light turns green, and i hit my gas ... the car almost stalled on me in D (ITS AN AUTOMATIC!!) And, my car is starting to get HOT. At first i was thinging maybe just the weather change and lower altitude... but i doubt it.

? is: Could i have messed up my transmission while hauling? And are those common problem with a messed up transmission?

P.S. when my friend was driving, he put it into OD when hauling "just once he got up to speed, to keep it at speed" (to drop the RPMs.
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

What color is your fluid now?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I checked to make sure all the fluids were fine, but i didnt check the color, I thought it looked ok... still maroon, ill have a chance to look tonight. What would that indicate?

There is also some product out to help transmissions: GM Synhco mesh ; Anyone heard of it?
      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

It should be maroon and not smell burned.

The thing about not towing in OD is the mechanism that keeps the band tight isn't strong enough to hold it tight enough not to slip in OD. It's probably marginal in 3rd as well as 4th. According to some trans stuff I've read, it is a popular upgrade to fix that.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

If its black or smells burnt should i just replace it? Or does it mean somethings wrong?
          99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I don't think I'm qualified to answer the question.

My opinion is change it and see if it helps. It's a lot cheaper than a new trans.

Comment

I personally just had my fair share of problems with my trans, and ill tell you first hand that if your fluid smells burnt, take it to a shop as quick as possible and try and get it rebuilt hopefully before you have to buy a new one. I'm not an expert on transmissions, but all i know was that when i bought my car, it already had a bad trans, and the fluid smelt burnt. I needed to drive so i drove it until i was able to collect up some cash and get it fixed. And what was i doing last night?....Installing my new $1400 trans cuz my old one went out on me about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm not saying that this will happen to you cuz i know mine was pretty bad, but its definitely a good idea to try and fix it before it starts costing you a lot more $. Good luck with everything!
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I checked it this morning, and its an orangy peach color... and defenately smelt burt, guess ill add some transmission fluid to my errands list today. Haha. (The fluid was fine when i left reno, guess the hauling did it???) Thanks guys, but now i have another question.

Where is the plug to let the transmission fluid drain? (only one i could find was by the oil filter - infront of the trans.)

THANKS AGAIN!!!
                99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

You have to remove the transmission pan in order to drain it. And while your there, replace the filter.

Comment

that sounds like a timing problem to me.
                    Getting hot
                    Dying
                    Loss of Power

it sounds like you're running too lean, I would change the plugs anf get it tunes up.
                    As far as the transmission FLUID goes.....getting it flushed out isn't gonna solve anything if the damage is done. But I think it isn't the trans that causing the problems.
                    I don't know, Maybe I am wrong.
                    82 camaro x2:
                    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
                    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

im playing with it tonight so hopefully it will be ok to take it to the track tomorrow. Hopefully its nothing serious... what confuses me is, it only happens when it starts getting hot. When i start it up in the morning, its fine (still missing power) but all the other sypmtoms are gone. Oh well hopefully ill solve it!!

- Will towing something change the timing?? What changes the timing?

- Any other ideas on what it could be?
                      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
                      X