I think I screwed up - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I screwed up - help!

I was just reading through the "How to rebuild the LT1/LT4 smallblock" book. Of course, I read the book after I put the car together. I think I may have messed up the opti install.

I did not set number 1 at TDC before I put the distributor in. I was figuring it only went on the cam one way. Is the timing messed up? If #1 isnt at TDC when you put the opti on, will that mess up the timing? How can it if the opti only goes on one way?
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

The opti does go on in only one way. I dont see why'd you need to set cylinder 1 at TDC. In case you have any doubts, I too have a 96, and put the opti on in just the way it came out, and I had no problems!
    1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

It apears it can only go on one way. http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Why do they put the numbers on the back of the opti then? This is what had me worried. Logically it makes sense that you cant screw it up, but after reading the manual and remember the numbers on the opti - I was worried.

If this is true though, I will be pretty happy that I dont have to rip it apart again!
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Well it only fits on one way, so unless you force it on in the wrong notch, it is on there correctly. The engine don't know if it is on a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke until the cam tells it, and the cam tells the encoder & opti where it is so they can sync the spark & injectors, so there you have it. Relax & have a beer.

Comment

The numbers are on the back just for reference. The cam dowel can be in any position as long as you put the special slot of the opti drive over it-doesn't matter (just like my pic link above says ).
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

The only things that you could possibly do wrong is to either not replace the front cover seals to prevent future leaks, misalign the drive plate of the opti with the drive pin or have the wrong version of long pin vs short pin drive. If you misaligned it, the car won't even run. if you have the wrong pin length, the opti wouldn't engage the pin properly and the opti wouldn't sit flush with the cover. Relax, you're safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                Relax, you're safe.
                I always do this when I do a major job involving lots of money and time. I second guess myself........everything is usually OK, because i take good care when I put it together, but I never learn.....

I guess now its a matter of on my new program and injectors.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X