Exhaust cutout questions..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust cutout questions..

I was thinking that this may be the best way to go. I can have a stock exhaust, or a free flowing exhaust at the flick of a switch.

What are the pros and cons? I heard someone say that it my burn up your valves. Any truth to that? How is the sound? Is it raspy sounding, or good?

Where would it mount if I haave a stock exhaust? At the Y-pipe? Right after the cats? Would I have to cut a section of exhaust out, and weld it in? Who makes the best unit for stock exhaust cars?

Any help/info/leads would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thansk
    Jeff
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

I have one and don't use it much. If you have stock cats, it's not bad. If you delete the cats like I did, it is just annoying. I've got 2 bullets welded inline between the manifolds and the cutout, and it's still too raspy. Eventually I'm going to have 4 bullets on the car, and hopefully that will take it out. If not, I'll go back to my old Flowdisaster. At least it didn't rasp.

I have seen no ill effects from it, other than the noise. The car definitely makes more power if you have your cutout before the axle. One of our guys here with a whole lotta bottle gained 20 at the wheels coming through the cutout. Average gain on a stock motor is like 3 HP. It's mostly a sound thing.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

re

true.... its mostly a sound thing. I dyno'd 300rwhp stock
      then dyno'd 309 with lid and cut out open.
      (cut out after the cats, and after the y-pipe). You figure
      about 6-7 for the lid and 2-3 for the cut out. though you
      lose power when the cut out is closed. 294 while closed
      (lost almost 10 hp) compared to stock exhaust.

Of course its a very handy thing to have. For stock
      applications you can go from quiet to LOUD!! in just
      three seconds with the flip of a switch. I'm pretty happy
      with my McPowerPlate2. it costed 108$ with shipping
      and was b!tch to install but i love it.

P

Comment

I have a cutout on my 94 right in front of the cat. I can't stand the sound level on the street. It's fine for short blasts at the track, but not on the street. Now, it is a manual cutout and not an electric one. I suppose an electric is the trick for a quick open and close, but in reality I don't really see the need for one. I've been able to run just as quick with the cut out closed, so there it stays. Perhaps locating it behind the cat would be quieter. It will all depend on the effeciency of your current exhaust system.

Comment

Working...
        X