Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End noise

No I'm not talking about bad gas

I started to get a whining noise coming out of the rear end area this past weekend. I've only got about 300 miles on the BMR stuff shown in my sig. It sounds like gears meshing to me and gets higher pitched the faster I go; its definately coming from the back passenger side. I torqued all the suspension bolts/nuts to the prescribed torques. The tires are brand new Firehawks that were balanced prior to installation. I have a polyeurathane torque arm bushing but put at least 300 miles on the car with no whining present; now all of a sudden I have this whining noise. Any suggestions???
    97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

My bet is the pinion bearing starting to fail. It would increase in fequency and volume as road speed increases. The urethane componants will simply transmit more noise.

Comment

Unfortunately polyurethane does produce more noise, but a noticeable "whining" noise like you describe is not normal from the rear end.

Check it out.

Comment

Well, it's been over a week now and I've railed on the car at least a dozen or more times and the whining isn't getting any worse. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side; I don't think it's a rear wheel bearing because I've made wide turns while braking in a mall parking lot and the sound doesn't get better or worse.
        My ABS/INOP light comes on also (when I shut the car off and restart it doesn't come back on until I drive for awhile). I'm wondering if the rear wheel speed sensor reluctance wheel is somehow mucked up (my car doesn't have traction control) and is causing the whine and the ABS/INOP light to come on.....???? F-body Gods please help....
        97' SS #497 1 of 50 White Hardtop M6,stock TB reworked to 52mm,SLP CC shorties, Random Tech DC Y-pipe, LT4KM, Taylor Spiro's and NGK's, BMR Adj Lcr's, TA, Boxed SFC's, Adj PHR, Floorpan brace w/ driveshaft loop, STB, GM 4:10'S, 1LE alum DS, Eibach 35mm front swaybar and Pro-Kit Springs, Bilstein HD's, Lou's speed stick with Hurst ball,LS1 front brakes, Earl's lines, Hawk Pads, BMR relocation brackets.

Comment

I cant see the ABS causing this. I agree with pinion bearing. I drove mine with a bad pinion bearing for a year and a half and it didnt get an worse, so beating on it wont necessarily help diagnose the problem.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
          X