Name this hose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name this hose

It is the hose that goes from the heater core (I believe) to the water pump. I was cruising around town and got on it a few times, when I noticed my engine overheating. I immediately pulled over and let it cool down. I then drove it a block down the road to put some water in it under some light so I could pinpoint the leak. It's coming from that hose right in front of the radiator fan. You know the hose that is rubber and has two metal fittings with about a 3" long rubber hose between these fittings. The hose is about an inch wide. Got a name for this hose and if local auto stores would have it? Also, how hard would it be to replace this hose? I didn't get a real good look at everything since it is dark now. Well, this just adds one more problem to my long list in one week. Thanks.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

I forgot to add, the leak is on the 3" long hose that I described. There is a nice little stream coming out of it. I guess it was just getting old and brittle, and with a little tourqe, pop goes the weasle.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

can you pick out the number on here??? Then I can tell you the name and the GM Part #.

If that doesn't show up, most likely it won't here is the link(right click on it and hit copy shortcut then paste it into the address bar),

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e.jpg.orig.jpg

I gotta find a better image hosting company, I hate imagestation and angelfire won't me hot link it from a site.
      Richard Harvey Jr.
      '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

If you need to replace any parts of hoses, you can use a Dremel to cut off the metal collars and then secure a new hose with clamps. Cut just enough to get through the collar and no more, so as not to damage the metal part underneath.

Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Ah, the part that I'm looking at would be somewhere around 12 or 13 on Rob's diagram. Anyone got a name for it? Thanks.

Comment

Here is number 12:

GM PART # 10188037
            CATEGORY: All
            PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
            GM LIST: $11.52
            OUR PRICE: $5.76
            DESCRIPTION: HOSE-HTR

and Here is number 13:

GM PART # 10188036
            CATEGORY: All
            PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
            GM LIST: $14.94
            OUR PRICE: $7.47
            DESCRIPTION: VALVE ASM
            Richard Harvey Jr.
            '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

I name him Leroy.
              99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

It's probably part number 12. It is not available as a single part. According to GM, all you can buy is the entire thing as part number 10261147. All of the parts are put together with a machine that compresses a clamp ring around it. I have this part sitting in my garage right now. It looks like a real PITA to change too.

So here is a plan B for you which is what I did. I took a pair of wire cutters (or Rob's plan) and nibbled the clamp off of it. The hose will then pull off of part 13. Part 13 is a plastic thing with 2 barbed outlets on each end. It looks like a inline coupler. Anyway all I did was buy a straight piece of hose and cut it to the length of part 12 and use regular stainless clamps on it. It worked like a champ.

I'm really surprised GMpartsdirect lists those parts with prices because the dealer says they are not available and even if they were, you're still going to have to cut the clamp off and use a regular clamp.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Jeff, I conversed on the 'net with someone who had bought those individual parts and was trying to put them on.

#13 is a flow resstrictor of some sort. Probably why the heater cores seem to clog up.
                  Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                    Jeff, I conversed on the 'net with someone who had bought those individual parts and was trying to put them on.

#13 is a flow resstrictor of some sort. Probably why the heater cores seem to clog up.
                    I don't know what to say except I asked the guy at the parts counter (Jim Ellis Chevy) for part #12 and the computer referred him to the whole assembly. The guy said it wasn't sold as individual parts. You're welcome to try the dealership. If you order the part online, you'll be without the car for several days. I'm just giving you a way to fix it today. You could do like I did and go ahead and order the assembly so you will have it on hand if needed. I know the part has a bend in it but the straight hose I put in flexed maybe 30 degrees with out collapsing and has worked out fine. You might could find a hose with the bend in it and use it.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Ok, I just had the chance to go out there and take a good look at it. It is part 13 that has broken, right at the second crimp. So you are saying this plastic part can be completely removed and replaced with a regular hose? Any idea if AutoZone or O'Reilly would have this part? I don't think I'll be able to make it to the dealer today, and that means I'd have to wait till Monday before they will open back up. I'll let yall know what I find out, thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron4TAMU
                        Ok, I just had the chance to go out there and take a good look at it. It is part 13 that has broken, right at the second crimp. So you are saying this plastic part can be completely removed and replaced with a regular hose? Any idea if AutoZone or O'Reilly would have this part? I don't think I'll be able to make it to the dealer today, and that means I'd have to wait till Monday before they will open back up. I'll let yall know what I find out, thanks for the help everyone!
                        No I said part 12 could be replaced with a hose.

I'm looking at a brand new hose assembly in my hand. The plastic part (#13) has a restrictor in it with about a 1/4 inch hole in it. It has to be there or a reason. You could get an adapter to take replace the plastic piece but it won't have that restrictor there.

Comment

What would ASM in "ASM Valve" stand for? Just curious.

Comment

asm is short for assembly

The valve has an arrow on it saying flow that a way but I could easily blow through it from both ways.

Comment

Not advocating doing it, but I have read of people eliminating the restrictor without any apparent adverse effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X