NFB 1992 Corvette

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB 1992 Corvette

I'm looking at a 1992 Corvette convertible with 6-speed transmission. It has 63,000 miles on it, has a new top and new Bridgestone Potenza tires. It does not have sport seats, or the adjustable ride suspension. The guy will sell it to me locally for $15,000. He says it looks like new, and includes a custom fit car cover.

Is this a good deal?
    What were the ins-and-outs of the 1992 vettes? What should I look for? Were the LT-1's problematic during that first year? I'm assuming the opti is unvented and the EFI is bank fire instead of sequential. Anything else??
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

See if there is anything to compare it to here.
    http://www.buyavette.net/
    http://usedcorvettesforsale.com/index.php
    http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Im in the market for a c4 corvette myself (if insurance will be reasonable) if you take it for a test drive let me know how it is compared to a LT1 z28. The z28 is much more affordable but if theres a Huge difference in performance it would be worth it to me to buy the vet. Let me know how you like it

Comment

Re: NFB 1992 Corvette

Originally posted by TraceZ
        I'm looking at a 1992 Corvette convertible with 6-speed transmission. It has 63,000 miles on it, has a new top and new Bridgestone Potenza tires. It does not have sport seats, or the adjustable ride suspension. The guy will sell it to me locally for $15,000. He says it looks like new, and includes a custom fit car cover.

Is this a good deal?
        What were the ins-and-outs of the 1992 vettes? What should I look for? Were the LT-1's problematic during that first year? I'm assuming the opti is unvented and the EFI is bank fire instead of sequential. Anything else??
        1st year of the LT-1, valve train will sound a little noisier due to the material of the valve covers, batch fire speed density. Look for cracking weatherstripping, throttle induced steer from worn irs bushings or toe link, check for a matched set of wheels (common to have been swapped). The convertible top will stretch and look like a bubble going down the road (costly to replace too). The rear window is plastic and will scratch very easily unless it has been upgraded to glass like the later verts. The rear bows will have scratched the paint where it contacts the rear hatch. Also check for wear from the top supports rubbing the rear cargo area. Also check the hood to body alignment popints. The hood has been know to rub at various points, some of which are body panels like the vents just behind the front tires. Other than that, the basic stuff like hood strut, headlight motors, etc. should all be checked for proper function. Electronics can be a PITA, but as long as they work and the harness hasn't been butchered you should be fine. Oh yeah, one more thing.... they eat rear brakes rather quickly.

Comment

I've seen a handfull of C5's going for less than $20k. Why not save a little longer and get a 98-02?

96 TA Sold!
          87 TA Sold!
          80 Z28 Sold!
          74 Formula Sold!
          73 Z28 Sold!
          69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll let you know what it looks like when I see some pictures. It is forest green, I don't really like that color. We'll have to see what kind of condition it is in.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Tracy, have you looked at Auto Trader or Cars. Their are alot of clean 96 vettes going for less than 15K at autotrader.com.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                Tracy, have you looked at Auto Trader or Cars. Their are alot of clean 96 vettes going for less than 15K at autotrader.com.
                I've seen those, but they are mostly coupes with automatics. I'm looking specifically for a 6-speed roadster. I looked it up in the Corvette Blackbook and came up with $15,400.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Even though 6 speed's are more popular, the auto's are worth more. So a 6 speed would be even cheaper.

There are 2 96 LT4 coupe 6 speeds with ~55K miles in autotrader for less than $14,800.

15,400 for a 92 is far too much. How many miles does it have?

Comment

Sweet find! I just sent and email to the toy store. Thanks...
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:

Comment

Sweet find! I just sent and email to the toy store. Thanks...
                      Not sure what brought about the unnecessary sarcasm but I guess you didn't believe me, so here is a scanned image of one of the forementioned LT4 coupes for sale in the latest autotrader mag.

You just need to learn to do your homework Tracy. Many 96 LT4 can be had for similar pricing.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                        Not sure what brought about the unnecessary sarcasm but I guess you didn't believe me, so here is a scanned image of one of the forementioned LT4 coupes for sale in the latest autotrader mag.

You just need to learn to do your homework Tracy. Many 96 LT4 can be had for similar pricing.
                        I was not being sarcastic. I really had no idea that the 96 LT4 cars could be had so cheap. I'm going to keep an eye out for a nice one with less than 50 K and ZR1 rims. Thanks for the education.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:

Comment

I have too admit I was a little surprised too when I recently started looking into Corvettes. Especially these LT4 coupes!

I was not being sarcastic.
                          No worries buddy!

Comment

Back in very early 98, a local chevy dealer near me had a STILL NEW 96 LT4, never titled, still brand new on the dealer lot after nearly 2 years, silver in color, convertible. T%he sticker price was over 50k. The dealer said they'd be willing to take 35k for it at that point, STILL NEW! If I'd had the money, it woulda been mine that day. Why it lasted on the lot so long I'll never know, but seeing that price when new, it doesn't surprise me that they can be had for $15k now. Keep in mind these cars are nearly 10 years old now. Plus, whenever a new generation comes out, prices on the old fall. These cars are about to be 2 generations old. Chances are some vette owners are looking to sell to pick up a C6.
                            Dave M
                            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
                            X