PRO/Edelbrock update - G. Baxter at Bowling Green

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRO/Edelbrock update - G. Baxter at Bowling Green

This was the weekend for the PRO/Edelbrock Hot Rod & Muscle Car Nationals at Atco, NJ. What a fantastic event. Unbelievable to see the Pro Street door-slammers (and a pickup truck, at that) running 6.7X @ 213 MPH!!!!!!

Went with George Baxter and his 30th SS convertible. He qualified 8th in a field of 16, with a 8.828 @ 158.41. The temps were an absolute killer for the blower cars.... 95deg and humidity to match. The car was off at least 2/10's, giving the advantage to the nitrous cars, who could care less what the temperature was.

In qualifying, the car also ran a new best 60-foot, at 1.31-seconds. If the track was 1/2-way decent, it could have been in the 1.2's. The Steve Spohn suspension really kicks butt!!! Exactly the same stuff that you could put under your 3rd or 4th Gen.

He made it through the first round with an 0.085 light and a 8.8X @ 156mph, but got knocked out in the second round with a 0.079 light, and another 8.8X @ 159mph. The two top cars were running 8.4X..... so there was little hope of making it any further than he did.

Saw an interesting 4th Gen running a 502 big block at 9.20-seconds.

No "stills" of the action, but I got about 20 minutes of killer videos.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

send my congrats to Mr. Baxter
    was this his first race?
    my car:
    '86 Caprice Classic. Soon to have a 350 crate motor. Shooting for 300rwhp.

the project:
    check the www for pics, but a '36 Chevy Master Sedan, MII front end, Jaguar IRS, '93 LT1 powerplant with plans for 350rwhp, and many many other goodies

Comment

Another PRO/Edelbrock event this past weekend, at Bowling Green, KY. Not a good weekend for anyone.... (I didn't make the trip, but got an update this a.m. from the guys that returned). The finals in Xtreme Street was a complete screwup.... Bob Curran and his 96 Corvette took the finals with a 52.2-sec @ 74 MPH pass..... his engine died on the launch, but he got it restarted and made it across the line, while the guy in the other lane ran a 10.6 @ 114, but was disqualified because he lost it at the 1,000-ft mark and hit the wall - never give up

George Baxter's 30th SS convertible started the weekend in the Friday time trails, on a high note... with a new, larger intercooler, he ran a new personal best of 8.6-seconds, more than 1/10th faster than his previous best, and 2/10th's better than his performance at the Atco event. The weather was another mid-90's high humidity, with density altitude over 3,500-ft.

Saturday was a disaster with only one round of qulaifications due to torrential rains and a nearby tornado touchdown. George lost 2nd gear on his only pass, and qualified near the bottom with an 11.x pass. He decided to run it with only 1-3 gears in the Sunday eliminations, but lost in the first round with a 9.5@149 to a 9.0@152. The blower seemed to be down on boost as well.

Back to the shop, to see if it can be ready for the ls1tech.com North vs. South shoutout at Morroco, IN this weekend.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        Bob Curran and his 96 Corvette took the finals with a 52.2-sec @ 74 MPH pass..... his engine died on the launch, but he got it restarted and made it across the line, while the guy in the other lane ran a 10.6 @ 114, but was disqualified because he lost it at the 1,000-ft mark and hit the wall - never give up

Youve got to be kidding! I would have loved to see that! To win with a 52 second quarter - thats almost as slow as those mitsubishis!
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Bob Curran's Grand Sport 'vette is one of the nicest cars in the class.....

Fred

Comment

Give us some more details on the motor in Bob Curran's Grand Sport. It looks to be bottle fed.

Comment

360ci SBC and a touch of nitrous..... that's all I know. Car runs consistant 8.4's in good weather, 165MPH.
              Fred

Comment

Does Anyone

have video of the pickup doing 6.7 @ 214????
                1967 Firebird. Needs a lot of work!
                1976 Black Trans Am. 400 bb, auto. 75% restored.
                2001 Black Firebird.
                2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT, SLP Axleback Loudmouths

"Cars are Like Parachutes, if the Main one fails, pull the reserve out "

Comment

I have about 20 minutes of video from Atco, including the pickup running 6's... and a Viper standing it on the bumper. I'll have to upload some of these.
                  Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    I have about 20 minutes of video from Atco, including the pickup running 6's... and a Viper standing it on the bumper. I'll have to upload some of these.
                    Let me know if you need those hosted.

Comment

Originally posted by wako29
                      send my congrats to Mr. Baxter
                      was this his first race?
                      ohhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooo

george has been climbing from the 11's to the 8's for many years now........... been thru motors and trannies to get where he is now....... he's a vetran........for sure.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                      X