replacing alternator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing alternator

is replacing the alternator pretty easy? i need to change mine out? does anyone out there have the proper steps for a 98 camaro V6?

replacing hte altenator is simple...

3.8's altenator is right there and easy to get to...compared to LS1 in the F-body...

a couple of bolts and it pops right out. basic tools will do...ratchet, extenders and sockets...

1-10 (10 being hardest) this gets a 1 in my book, a 10 minute job.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

ya, i thought so. its like 3 bolts as far as i could tell... i guess what i really need to know is to lossen the tensioner on the serp. belt, do i have to turn that nut clock wise? is it reverse threaded?

Comment

also, what is the best way to disconnect the voltage regulator?

I'm used to German Cars that have two wires with connectors on the end that you just un bolt, this looks to be a little bit different...

Comment

oh yeah...be sure to disconnect your battery too before you work.

Also, IF YOU HAVE THIEF-LOC ON YOU CD RECIEVER REMEMBER YOUR CODE or disable it so you don't have to hassel getting the cd player working when you reconnect your battery.

If I were you I'd check and repace the battery too if I have to.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

thanks... any thoughts on the voltage regulator?

Comment

just disconnect your battery and you should be okay...nothing special. one bolt for the ground and take off the connector and it'll come right out.

Christopher Teng

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by shadyyapper
                  ya, i thought so. its like 3 bolts as far as i could tell... i guess what i really need to know is to lossen the tensioner on the serp. belt, do i have to turn that nut clock wise? is it reverse threaded?
                  On my v8 its an auto tensioner, Just undo the alt. bolts... it will slide out. You dont even have to worry about the tensioner.

dunno if the v6's are the same?
                  99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help!!! I replaced it and it took me about 20 mins to do.
                    3 bolts, 2 cables, and 1 serp belt de-tensioned.
                    installed the new one, and jumped the car, and boom! its back to normal with no problems!

Thanks again!

Marc

Comment

Working...
                    X