My new toy...'68 Firebird 400

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new toy...'68 Firebird 400

I just bought a Firebird 400 this weekend. It is complete with all of the chrome (in great shape) and trim, but in many boxes. The body is good & rust free, it is all stripped down. The interior is complete, but needs new seat coverings, carpet, head-liner, etc. It is not a numbers matching car, but it does have a just built R/A III engine with the 16 heads, with a new 9" Ford, new wheels and tires (never rolled on), the back has been cut and modified to fit 295/50/15s along with larger slicks. The best part...I paid next to nothing for it.

The tranny is a T350; kinda wished it was a T400. I don't have the specs on the engine though like the cam size, etc. which is kind of a bummer. You can still see the assembly lube on the cam so it has never been turned. It comes with a fully polished high rise aluminum intake...not sure of the manufacturer. I think I am going to have fun with this car, cage it, Dominator, 200 or so shot of nitrous, and set up the tranny as a manual shift with a ratchet shifter...this should be kinda fun.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

lets see some pics!

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      lets see some pics!
      She's kind of an ugly duckling right now...bad primer job. I am going to pick it up tonight...hopefully. Although, I need to finish parting out my '87 'burban and haul off the carcass to the crusher this week in order to make room. We shall see how it goes. As soon as I get it home, I will take some pics. However, I don't have a place to post them right now...do you have space...by any chance? If not, I can just email them to you. I am pretty excited about the whole thing. I have wanted one of these for 15 years...it was one of my dream cars back in high school, saved the money for a beater, but my parents said...no way in ****!!!! ...probably a good thing...I am a lot older and wiser now. ...and alive!
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For you, or for anyone on the forums for that matter, need a place to stick files I have 2 dedicated servers sitting in a Datacenter in Texas with an OC-3 connection that I'm volunteering to host anything and everything fbody related, free of charge! Sort of my contribution to the community you could say.

Just let me know ...

Rob
        1995 Chevy Camaro, V6, 5-spd Manual - Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor :-)

Comment

Originally posted by rstinnett
          For you, or for anyone on the forums for that matter, need a place to stick files I have 2 dedicated servers sitting in a Datacenter in Texas with an OC-3 connection that I'm volunteering to host anything and everything fbody related, free of charge! Sort of my contribution to the community you could say.

Just let me know ...

Rob
          You tha man Rob!

Comment

Pontiac Powered Drag Car = Cool

Instead of the TH400, you should look into a superturbine 300 2 speed (with the variable pitch torque convertor). I know the 68's came with that tranny, and its a nice drag setup - the variable pitch convertor makes it come off the line like crazy, and only two gears!.

Maybe a nice set of the Edelbrock aluminum heads on that RA block......I love spending other peoples money!
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by rstinnett

Just let me know ...

Rob
              Thank You!!!

I am picking up the car on Saturday at 10:00am sharp. I am a little nervous about so long, but that is when I have a truck and trailer for the job. Wish me luck. I will get some pics this weekend.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                Pontiac Powered Drag Car = Cool

Instead of the TH400, you should look into a superturbine 300 2 speed (with the variable pitch torque convertor). I know the 68's came with that tranny, and its a nice drag setup - the variable pitch convertor makes it come off the line like crazy, and only two gears!.

Maybe a nice set of the Edelbrock aluminum heads on that RA block......I love spending other peoples money!
                Do the Edelbrock heads flow a lot better then the #16 R/A III heads? It would be nice to buy the Edelbrocks, port them, and wrap the R/A III heads and store them. I am probably going to stay with the TH350 for now with a manual shift valve body. I want to keep the car as streetable as possible. That 2sp would be a terror at the track though.

If I could bring myself to do it, I would sell the '79 and '97 and buy my neighbor's '67 GTO. It is also a project, but I would have two of my favorite cars and garage space to keep them. I will probably get rid of my Vette and buy the GTO...I hope!!! ...need to get that tranny fixed so I can unload it.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                  Do the Edelbrock heads flow a lot better then the #16 R/A III heads?
                  The 16's are a nice head, I have a set of 62's on my GTO, and they are very similiar. The edelbrocks are patterned after the RAIV heads, which flow much better than 16's. They are of course aluminum too. They are supposed to be one of the hottest set of Pontiac heads out there. If you port these and match a nice cam and intake to it - youve got a screamer!

Good luck on picking up the GTO! I would sell a vette any day for a GTO!
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

The 16's are a nice head, I have a set of 62's on my GTO, and they are very similiar. The edelbrocks are patterned after the RAIV heads, which flow much better than 16's. They are of course aluminum too. They are supposed to be one of the hottest set of Pontiac heads out there. If you port these and match a nice cam and intake to it - youve got a screamer!

Good luck on picking up the GTO! I would sell a vette any day for a GTO!
                    I may buy a set of these, cam, and intake for my '79. I would like to wrap up the original 6X-4 heads along with the factory intake, cam, and QJ. I would like to start driving it a little more. The W72 block has the 60psi oil pump along with a nice bottom end so it has some potential. However, I don't know if I want to butcher the stock heads too much decking them to a better compression ratio then the 8.2:1 that it came with. I just broke 40,000 miles on it last week...got the 5yr collector's registration so the cats are coming off and the 3" tubes and headers are going on

I don't know what I am going to do with the R/A III motor. It is completely done, but I have no clue what cam is in it. I hate to pull apart a new motor, but I may do something different with it. It is fourth in line of cars to finish so it will be awhile. I need to touch up a few areas of the paint on the '79 along with doing what I mentioned above. I then need to proceed with the heads and SC on the '97 as well as get the tranny fixed on the Vette.

QUESTION: The high rise intake doesn't cover the back of the lifter valley on the R/A III. What part do you need for this? I have never been into one of these so it seamed odd.

Yep, I would definitely rather have the '67 GTO then the C4. Although, I would rather have a '68-9 shark or a C5 then the GTO. We shall see. I love Vettes so I always want one.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

QUESTION: The high rise intake doesn't cover the back of the lifter valley on the R/A III. What part do you need for this? I have never been into one of these so it seamed odd.

Not sure I understand......the lifter valley is never covered by the intake on any Pontiac motor. There is a valley pan that bolts into the lifter valley with 2 long bolts. The intake only seals to the heads and water pump in the front. Look on your TA. It a metal pan that bolts on underneith the intake. This is where the PCV valve plugs into as well.

Comment

Not sure I understand......the lifter valley is never covered by the intake on any Pontiac motor. There is a valley pan that bolts into the lifter valley with 2 long bolts. The intake only seals to the heads and water pump in the front. Look on your TA. It a metal pan that bolts on underneith the intake. This is where the PCV valve plugs into as well.
                        That pan is what I am talking about. I have never had one of these apart so I am not totally sure how it all goes together so my description wasn't very good. Any ideas where I can find one...any after-market providers? I may be able to find an old Pontiac big block at the salvage yard.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That pan is what I am talking about. I have never had one of these apart so I am not totally sure how it all goes together so my description wasn't very good. Any ideas where I can find one...any after-market providers? I may be able to find an old Pontiac big block at the salvage yard.
                          Heres a new one. Part# AL46. You gotta click on "engine" on the left side of the screen, and then "valley pans":

http://yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=5

Heres an ebay deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

This guy obviously doesnt know what it is really for, but hes got one for sale:

It just bolts down with two long bolts - its the only thing that seals the oil in the lifter valley, so you gotta have it. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Comment

Heres a new one. Part# AL46. You gotta click on "engine" on the left side of the screen, and then "valley pans":

http://yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=5

Heres an ebay deal:

This guy obviously doesnt know what it is really for, but hes got one for sale:

It just bolts down with two long bolts - its the only thing that seals the oil in the lifter valley, so you gotta have it. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!
                            Thank You! I am bidding on the $20 one on ebay. I need to get that fairly soon. The motor has some dust and some small debris in the valley; I am not too thrilled about that. I will see if I can clean it out effectively. However, a few small particles are attached to the assembly lube on the cam. Anyhow, I would like to get this sealed up soon. It will be interesting...I have only played with small block Chevys so it is a whole 'nother world.

Oh, how did the motor and vibration thing turn out on your Formula?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Oh, how did the motor and vibration thing turn out on your Formula?
                              Dont ask..... After it went back together, it was on the road for a day and then I noticed a burnt valve. I pulled the head, and it snowballed from there. The motor is back out again, this time for a complete "no screwing around" rebuild. Ask me again in a week and a half and hopefully ill be good to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X