Engine Stand Bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Stand Bolts

what size thread do I need to put a 350 Chevy from a z28 1979 on to an engine stand? I don't have the transmission to get the bolts from to check.
    88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
    79 z28 Cam 350 (still in the works)
    88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
    Keith

If my feeble brain remembers the details well, the bolt threads are the same size as the threads of a side mount terminal battery. Charging posts would have the same pitch and size as well. I just can't remember what size in actual measurement that it turned out to be. Hope that gives you a start.

Comment

any average parts store would likely have a bolt set that is specific for what you are needing them for. jegs and summit also have them.

Comment

I've been to autozone, o'really's, and pep boys and as far as I can tell everytime I go there they don't know what I'm talkin about (no one who works there is a mechanic) so I never get what I'm lookin for and they don't have any. as for jegs and summit I'd have to order them out of a catalog and why do that when I can get it locally from like pick a part or somethin
        88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
        88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
        Keith

Comment

Just be advised that the bolts to mate the trans and the engine won't be long enough to bolt the engine to the carriage on the stand. IMHO, locate a battery terminal charging post or a bolt, check it by test threading it into the engine bolt holes. If it matches, (and it should), go to the hardware store and get those specific threaded bolts in a legth of no less than two and a half inches. Most engine stand mounting brackets are at least an inch to an inch and a half in thickness. You also want to thread into the block at least an inch for secure mounting. I had to go through this a few years back so I know it works.

Comment

thats whatI was gonna do once I found out what thread they are.
            Thanx I'll get em from the battery terminal mount or somethin
            88 z28 Cam 305 V8 TBI
            88 i-roc Z28 Cam 350 Tpi
            Keith

Comment

any place that sells an engine stand should have them. Which is why I mentioned part stores. The only thing about just buying them from a hardware store is not all bolts are created equal. By that I mean some are softer then others... its a lot of weight to support ya know? I would talk to the hardware store person about the use for the bolt and they might be able to reccomend the proper grade. Just a thought. I wouldn't want that sucker coming down on my foot.

On a side note if you looked it up on Jegs or summit it may tell you the exact bolt size along with thread size? Call them up and get the info from their helpline worst case scenario.

Comment

Most major block bolts (except for heads) are 3/8-16 .
                Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

I think 3/8 diameter, 16 threads per inch is correct also. Go to the hardware store and get some bolts that are grade 5 or grade 8. Allen socket head bolts are grade 5. The grade is how durable a bolt is. I would not trust some of the lower grades enough to hold an engine. Get bolts that will go into the engine block about an inch.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X