Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: A video that may drive home the point....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: A video that may drive home the point....

There are signs at the gas pumps to warn you not to use your cell phone, and not to get back in your car because of static, shut off your engine, etc.... Well, obviously many people ignore these warnings, but here's a video to show you why you shouldn't: View the video, then read the Shell Oil Announcment below. Because this is primarily a female phenomenon, pass the word to your family, do NOT get back in the vehicle while pumping gas.

THE VIDEO

The part of the document pertaining to this particular video is near the bottom, but it is ALL important!

Shell Oil Co. Announcement
    Importance: High

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that:
    Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (i.e. solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.)

To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules for Safe Refueling

1) Turn off engine
    2) Don't smoke
    3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
    4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of"static electricity" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:
    1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
    2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
    3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
    4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
    5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
    6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
    7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
    8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping,
    make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with
    several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware
    of this danger. You can find out more information by going to <http://www.pei.org/> . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

BE SAFE!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

I've always heard cell phones could ignite fumes at a gas station, but I had never seen it happen. I can't believe that lady tried to put it out. She should be thankful it didn't blow sky high. Thanks for the info Dave....

Current Project: 1986 Buick T-type, 71K miles
    Previous Vehicles:
    99' M6 Z28
    98' M6 TA
    97' Formula
    96' RS Camaro
    93' Z28 B4C pckg.

Comment

Amazing video - but what did a cell phone have anything to do with it?

It's no doubt that she built up a whole bunch of static electricity when she was finicking with her clothes, and bopping in and out of the drivers seat. During dry months such as winter, I get zapped all the time when I touch the door to close it.

All she had to do is bond herself to the car first (preferably far upwind from the filler), to discharge any static buildup, then go for the pump handle.
      '99 A4 1.8T QMS Santorin
      (Hey, that's not an F-Body)

Comment

I didn't say a cell phone had anything to do with it, that's why I said the part of the document pertaining to this video was near the bottom, where it talks about not getting back in the car. If you do, ALWAYS ground yourself before touching the pump.

.However, both the cell phone and getting back in your car cause the fire the same way... static electricity
        Dave M

Comment

They did this one on that show Myth Busters. They weren't able to start a fire using a cell phone, and it took a decent sized spark to ignite the fumes. Static electricity seems much more likely for these types of fires than cellphones but who knows I guess anything can happen.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

The problem with the fires are because of static electricity not cell phones. When you slide on the seat, you create a charge on your body.

We have a static electricity meter where I work. I have to go through a static certification every year. Man I hate it. I took the meter, grounded myself, slid my foot across the carpet 1 time and touched the meter and I was charged with over 2000 volts. I was amazed. Styrofoam cups and masking tape are horrible. I took about a 2 foot long piece of masking tape off the roll and it had over 15,000 volts in it.

Anyway the stuff about cell phones is false. Read here. http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

cell phones do NOT cause fires...no way no how!!! i worked at a gas station and the head pearson that deals with that wrote us a letter to post..they do NOT start fires..the only way they could is if somehow it held a static charge and transfered it to u..highly doubtful

i absolutly HATE when people tell me to get off my phone at the pump( i use debt i get off if i had to talk to someone) i use my phone alot for my stereo install buisness so i NEED to be able to talk when the customer wants they dont start fires....

while i am heated about my pet peves..ITS A SPOILER NOT A WING!!! =) lol ill shut up now

Comment

That's is good to know, of what not to do. Very good effort!

Comment

While it may be questionable whether cell phones can ignite fuel vapors, there IS a static electricity risk at pumps, and this is what the video is proving. That's why I posted it. So many of us just blindly go through the motions at the pumps, it's a nearly everyday task, that we often don't think about some of the safety risks. I was just trying to get people to realize there may be some unseen hazards..... what really gets me is when people leave there engine running while fueling. Nothing like combining internal combustion and gasoline vapors! yea, let's do that!
                  Dave M

Comment

yah ALOT of people dont understand that a tiny spark from ur hand can light the pump up...although most of them probably would and will still do it even if the pump next to them lit on fire...some people just dont learn

Comment

Working...
                    X