LT1 dyno resuts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 dyno resuts

OK well my buddy got his 95z with a 3.73 gears and hypertech prgramed dynoed. He only dynoed at 235rwhp and 260 torque. He has almost 80k miles but the car is in pretty mint condition. Does this sound right? I thought the car would atlest put down 255 or 260 with the gears. Any thoughts are apprectiated.
    Tom
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

A4 or M6?

Does he have the HPP "power programming" installed?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Is his car auto or M6? Was the graph SAE corrected? What else is done to the car? What kind of dyno........mustang, dynojet, etc..?

Comment

Either way, it seems pretty low for that car. Well fill us in as to if its an A4 or M6.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The gears won't actually give any HP, it seems like it when you drive it, but it's not actually enhancing the engine in anyway.
          82 camaro x2:
          82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
          82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

I agree. gears won't show a hp increase on a dyno, they're just changing how fast the driveline spins and to what ratio. That's what gives you the increase on the street, but you won't see any hp increase on a dyno from a gear installation.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Sorry its a A4 and a dyno jet. Only mods are 3.73 gears,160 thermo, and hyperech tuning installed. ANything else?
              Tom
              1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Comment

Can you post his A/F ratio graph and his power graph?

Comment

I dont know if he has a graph, he did it at his school (UTI Chicago), i think they just showed it on a screen. sorry, but ill ask.
                  Tom

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while gears don't improve hp numbers, I'm pretty sure they will show an increase in torque.
                    1993 Formula - 99k
                    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackfire93
                      Correct me if I'm wrong, but while gears don't improve hp numbers, I'm pretty sure they will show an increase in torque.
                      On a dyno, horepower is just a mathmatical calculation of torque. So if torque is increased, horsepower would increase as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think gears do either.
                      Dave M
                      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

The entire purpose of "gears" is to multiply torque.

A Dynojet does not directly measure torque. It measures the acceleration of the mass of the drum, calculates HP from the acceleration of the drum, and then gets torque from HP by dividing by the engine RPM (and a constant). Going to steeper gears, different diameter tires, or using heavier wheels and tires will affect the results on the dyno. Gears don't create HP, but the added torque multiplication will alter the acceleration rate of the drum, and that affects the calculations. Its subtle, but its there.

As far as the Hypertech "power programming", its questionable. The results I have seen documented with dyno testing indicate that it isn't unusual to lose 5HP with only programming, but to recover that loss, and then add maybe 10HP with the 160deg 'stat. I would try it with and without the "power programming" to see if you are really gaining anything. Keep the 'stat and the lower fan on/off temps though.

If you allow for 18% drivetrain loss on the A4, he is making about 286flywheel HP, which is within 5-10HP what I would expect on a setup with the stock air intake and exhaust. A cold air intake and a good catback would pick up some quick HP. If its got 80K miles on the original plugs and wires, it might be time for a replacement of both.
                        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The A4 is more parasitic on RWHP when compared to the M6. With Fred's 18% correction, he looks pretty close to normal at the flywheel.

Comment

Working...
                          X