Mac midlegth headers for LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac midlegth headers for LT1

I know these aren't the best headers for the LT1 but right now i'm happy with just bolt ons and maybe some 1.6 rr. I was wondering how the mac's would compare to other headers as far as quality goes. I love the price of them but i don't want to be buying something that isn't going to perform. I'm buying a magnaflow catback before getting the headers. Thanks for your help.
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

???MagnaFlow??? I would recommend another brand like SLP or Borla or Flowmaster. The "LOUDMOUTH" is the best sounding in my opinion.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The quality of the Mac headers isn't too shabby. Nice fit, everything works well together. They have one major plus point though: Plus access is great. Downside is that if you start pushing a LOT of power, the 1 5/8 primaries is going to become a restriction point. Good headers though in my honest opinion.
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
        ???MagnaFlow??? I would recommend another brand like SLP or Borla or Flowmaster. The "LOUDMOUTH" is the best sounding in my opinion.
        Well I love the magnaflow.

The Loudmouth is... too loud.

To each his own

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

I had MAC mid-lengths on my 99' Z28 and I thought they were excellent for the price. My full exhaust setup was MAC headers, Off-road Y-pipe, O2 simms, and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. Needless to say, I was the loudest V8 around. I even blew away all of the RedNeck trucks.... LOL..... it also scared the crap out of the Ricers.... Can't go wrong with the MACs......

Current Project: 1986 Buick T-type, 71K miles
          Previous Vehicles:
          99' M6 Z28
          98' M6 TA
          97' Formula
          96' RS Camaro
          93' Z28 B4C pckg.

Comment

I've read pages and pages of posts about MACs vs. others & long tubes vs mids. Some say the smaller primaries help at the low end but restrict at top. Some say exact opposite for mids and long tubes. I'm going with the MACs because of plug access and ground clearance (doing this along withported heads, cam, stall, etc). People are running low 12s with MACs, which is fine with me. I'd prefer the AS&M mids which are 1 3/4" but I'm willing to sacrifice a little HP (maybe???) for the cost & plug access.

My $0.02.

Also, I would get them ceramic coated. Jet Hot can get them and coat them with the sterling finish for a decent price.
            '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff95TA
              Also, I would get them ceramic coated. Jet Hot can get them and coat them with the sterling finish for a decent price.
              Don't they come coated? I know it's not as good of a coating as the jet-hot coating but I think they come with HTS coating. Does that help against high temperatures or is it just to prevent rust? As for the guy who questioned magnaflow... run a search on it. Most people who I've seen with the magnaflow exhaust system are happy with it and say it flows better than the flowmaster catback. The only complaint I've heard so far was that it was a little too quiet, but with headers and an off road pipe I think it will be right where I want it as far as sound goes.
              1993 Formula - 99k
              Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

The HTS is not a ceramic coating. Some people have reported rusting fairly quickly.
                '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Working...
                X