pushrods and rocker arms selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pushrods and rocker arms selection

I am building a 383, and I am about to buy my heads, they are edelbrock 64cc RPM performers. I have 2 valve relief flat top forged pistons....now I don't know what size or quality pushrods or rocker arms to get to go with them.
    As far as push rods go...I know absolutly nothing about other than their function.
    Now I have heard good and bad things about aluminum rockers.
    good is that the lighten up the valve train, and bad is that the are more prone to warpage.
    opinioins?

(I want to run about a 9:1 ish compression)
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Aluminum rockers are not street friendly. Use something like the Comp Pro Magnum's for rocker arms.

I assume you are using hydraulic roller lifters and a large base circle cam. This is a SBC correct? I am fairly certian that the OEM pushrod length is 7.200". Now depending how much difference their is in the deck thickness of the stock heads vs. your Edelbrock's, will determine the proper length pushrod you should install. If your edelbrock's for instance have a shorter deck, then you might want to go with something like a 7.150" or 7.125" length. I would definitely go with a hardened or chrome-moly pushrod.

They make a pushrod length checker tool. You can get it at www.ThunderRacing.com

Comment

I was under the impression that they (they being everone) made rockers with different demenssions that would change the compression ratio?
      The car is going to to be street and trip....but basically while I am assembling everything I want to make the engine put out as much HP as possible with out spending thousands upon thousands of dollars (IE I am not buying a 2000 dollar set of heads, or a 2500 dollar blower (or any blower for that matter)but any ways....I want to spend about 1600 on the top end; heads, valve train, intake, carb. headers will come later, I just want the basics. but this is my first engine project so I am learning as I go.

NOTE: I have solid lifters. they aren't roller or hydrolic.
      82 camaro x2:
      82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
      82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

Rocker arms have nothing to do with your static compression ratio.

Your static compression ratio in lamen's terms is "the volume above the piston at BDC (bottom dead center) in comparison to the volume above the piston at TDC (top dead center)".

Are you sure you have solid lifters and not hydraulic?

Comment

Working...
        X