rim fitting trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rim fitting trouble

I got the Z06 wheels for my 01 SS and the 315/30/18 BFG drags for the rears and put them on and had to put a 5/16" spacer on there so i could drive it. I could, like i said, drive it, however i can not take turns at more than 10/15 mph nor can i give it even a reasonable bit of gas. The inside of the tires, whenever the suspension compresses even a little rubs all up along the inside of the wheel well and because i used the spacer with the stock studs, my lug nuts aren't completely tightened. I think, from what ive heard, all i have to do is get some longer aftermarket studs so i can fit a bigger spacer so im not rubbing any more. After i do this (if this is what i should do) would the eibach 1.25" lowering springs be out of the question? Thanks for your help
    2001 Camaro SS, ATI P1-SC Procharger 7 psi pulley (for now muah ha ha), MAC headers, MAC off road Y-Pipe, MAC "Cat Back", K&N, Richmond Racing 3.73's, Hypertech Power Programmer III custom programmed for Procharger, Subframe Connectors, Z06 rims (17x9.5, 18x10.5) BFG G-Force 315/30/18's. Panasonic In-Dash TV/CD/DVD player, 2 10" Audiobahn Subs in custom box, Audiofonics 800 watt amp. Dyno soon to come (and track times too)
    "No Ryan, my car cannot whistle any OTHER songs"

I'm a little surprised you are having the problems with the spacer in place, but there are a couple possible issues.

1. Are "both" sides (drivers and passenger) rubbing the inside edge of the inner fender liners on the inside of the tires? It may be a problem with the panhard bar. If the body is not exactly centered over the rear axle, or if the soft bushings are allowing the body to move sideways over the axle, a new tubular, adjustable panhard rod, with polyurethane bushings may be what is needed to stabilize the body when cornering. If you are after ultimate handing, consider using at least one "spherical rod end" on the panhard bar. You will need the "adjustment" capability to re-center the body over the axle when you drop the body with lowering springs.

2. 3# hammer. I have 315/35-17 BFG Drag Radials on 17x11 wheels with a 7.93" backspace. I did a lot of heavy hammering on the inner fender liner, and cut the corner off the jounce bumper. It looks pretty ugly in the picture below, but if you just get a can of spray-on rubberized undercoat and cover it up, it doesn't look too bad. My hammering might be a little more than you will need, because I was also allowing for some fairly wide slicks.

As far as the studs.... you MUST have at least 1/2" of stud threads engaging the lug nut threads, inside the hex portion of the nut. Anything less is extremely dangerous. Lingenfelter, GM Performance Parts and ARP offer longer studs with the correct knurl diameter (0.509"). If you have traction control, the rleuctor gears on the axles can make it very difficult to change the studs without pulling the axles, but it can be done.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

rubs mostly on the driver side but on the passenger side as well, not as bad though. I talked to two speed shops that i've had work on my car and they said i will need longer studs and bigger spacers along with an air bag kit to stiffen up the rear suspension for less suspension travel.
      2001 Camaro SS, ATI P1-SC Procharger 7 psi pulley (for now muah ha ha), MAC headers, MAC off road Y-Pipe, MAC "Cat Back", K&N, Richmond Racing 3.73's, Hypertech Power Programmer III custom programmed for Procharger, Subframe Connectors, Z06 rims (17x9.5, 18x10.5) BFG G-Force 315/30/18's. Panasonic In-Dash TV/CD/DVD player, 2 10" Audiobahn Subs in custom box, Audiofonics 800 watt amp. Dyno soon to come (and track times too)
      "No Ryan, my car cannot whistle any OTHER songs"

Comment

Working...
      X