F-Car n00b, what to look for???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-Car n00b, what to look for???

ok first off im not a f-body owner right now im a P-Body owner (Fiero) and im trying to see if there is a camaro or transam that will meet or exceed my need for taking the twisties. the reason i got the fiero was because of its unique MR engine layout and the fact tha it will take turns at UNHEARD of speeds. is there anything like this that i can get for cheap??? i have drivin my dads t/a and its great BUT hes struts are completly shot unless you do nothing but drag race. so far the best thing i have come across bang for the buck is about a 87 Z28/Iroc or about a 94 Z28( i like the 4th gen better, 3rd seems to be to common)

in the attached picture is my car and my parents cars in the back ground...

Thanks in Advance for any help...

-Kyle
    Attached Files

The front suspension on the 4th gen is far superior to the 3rd gen. Rear suspension is exactly the same.

If you want corners, I'd get a 4th gen car, install subframe connectors, a strut tower brace and some other suspension goodies. A set of 17" rims with some nice wide rubber on all 4 corners and you are off to a good start.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

sorry if i sound stupid but what are subframe connectors?

Comment

Originally posted by TaurusThug
        sorry if i sound stupid but what are subframe connectors?
        Welcome, to the board, BTW.

SFC's are braces that connect the front frame stubs with the rear frame. They come in many varietys consisting of weld-in or bolt-in. The SFC's will make the chasis of the car more rigid, allowing the suspension to do its job better.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

ok... thanks for the info. i just need to go out and look for some 4th gens and maybe some 3rd gens...

Comment

Welcome! As a fellow Fiero owner I can tell you that these cars can outcorner a fiero with ease. This board is an excellent source of help.

Comment

First off, welcome to the boards!

In my opinion, I would try to get a 4th gen. I love 3rd gens to death (I own one, of course), but it just seems as though the 4th gens have more to offer stock than a 3rd gen does (better brakes, more power, etc.). But, on the other hand, a 3rd gen will probably be cheaper which means you can buy more for it.

Also, just like Trace-Z said, get subframe connectors. They are a MUST for 3rd gens (cuz of their age now) and a great idea for 4th gens.

Whichever car you get, good luck, and welcome to the darkside !
              1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
              Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
              Trans: TH700R4
              Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
              X