my limitations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my limitations

hey guys, i have some questions, i have a '97 z28 with the 4L60e and the other day i was messing around with a vette on the highway at 114 mph i was in third gear taching around 5100 rpms and all of a sudden it shifted into 4th sputtered and slowed down. obviously i have a governor on it( which i dont like) if i get a hypertech programer will this take car of it or do i need something else?

Is it an automatic?? If you were in OD, it wont let you go as fast, try it in D... but be safe.

In my automatic OD will let me get up to about 115, and then stops giving gas... D i havent been able to max out.
    99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

my car hits 145 and then some but i takes awhile after 135 because of the od and i didnt use a hypertech hp3 the person before might have but i bought it from a dealer so no real way to tell
      1995 formula firebird
      mods k&n fipk ,flowmaster catback, 52mm throttle body, crane hi-6 with lx92 coil,mad dog tranny with trans cooler

Comment

The cars have a speed limit programmed into the computer that corrosponds with the original equipment tires that came on the car. Certain cars had the 115 mph limit, others with the Z rated tires get the 158 limit. A reprogram will be needed to eliminate or change the speed limiter program.

Comment

If your 97 left the factory without Z-rated tires, it has the speed limiter, and 114mph is about the right value (there was a post a few weeks ago, with the exact numbers). The HPP will allow you to raise the speed limiter to a max of 255mph. You could also do this with PCM editing software (LT1_Edit), or by sending your PCM to one of the "mail order" tuners. They would also be able to give you about 15HP over a stock setup.

If you increase the speed limiter, you should upgrade the tires to match.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ok, thanks guys this really helps, yes i already have z rated tires on it, the people before put brand new ones on before i got it, it is the 4 speed auto. and its been kept stock its entire life until i did the minor mods of cold air intake and exhaust. i will try everything you guys said and hopefully when im done the only limitations on the car will be that of driver!

Comment

Working...
            X