400 build up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 build up

I'm gettin a 73 400 for free. Do you guys think i should build that? Or should I spend the money and get an older block? Do you guys have any build up ideas or models for a 400?

The block doesnt matter much , the power is in the heads. What heads does it have? You want a nice, early 67-70 (maybe 71), big valve, high compression (not too high), head. If you post the code on the center exhaust port, I can tell you what the heads are rated at.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

ok well then im gonna use the 400 and get older heads... but i want a lower compression cause i wanna turbo it... found a site with a guy who was in HPP Sept 03 who turbod a 455 on his 79 and has a manual he made and all.. plus my bros a distributor for turbonetics... so anyone want turbos lemme know.

Comment

Go with 6X heads then. Low compression and flow pretty good. They can be ported to flow excellent. Good luck with that.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

thanx. which 6X does it matter? 6X-4 or 6X-8?

Comment

Just 6x. Im not too sure about those others. Too be honest ive never heard heard of a 6x-4 or 6x-8. I know 4x. You want just 6x.

Comment

Go with the 6X-4. They are the heads on the '77-'79 W-72 engine and they flow very well. They yield 8.2:1 (to 8.5:1) compression. The chambers are around 94cc while the 6X(-8) heads are over 100cc and they are in the 7s for compression. Sources very on the compression and chamber size so these are ball-park figures. Definitely, don't use any of the older high compression heads.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by markd79ta
                Go with the 6X-4. They are the heads on the '77-'79 W-72 engine and they flow very well. They yield 8.2:1 (to 8.5:1) compression. The chambers are around 94cc while the 6X(-8) heads are over 100cc and they are in the 7s for compression. Sources very on the compression and chamber size so these are ball-park figures. Definitely, don't use any of the older high compression heads.
                Yup, mark nailed it. 8.5:1 is about as high as I would go on that motor with a turbo. N/A you would be better off with the older heads at 10:1.

Comment

Working...
                X