Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R134a Retrofit Procedure...

Hey guys,
    I need to recharge the A/C System in my beater car. Its a 1993 Cavalier 2.2L/Auto It has the old R12 setup and I need to retrofit it for the new system. I have the kit to do it. The kit came with the fittings, hoses, R134a Oil & R134a Refridgerant. The instructions dont give me any details on how to take out the remaining R12 refridgerant because you are susposed to have a shop remove it. However, I had a leak in my system so all of the refridgerant is already out. My question is, do I need to drain the compressor to? The kit comes with "Oil" that I am susposed to feed into one of the fittings in my A/C system, but I am not sure if this "Oil" is susposed to replace whatever is in the compressor. What should I do?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

First, make sure your leak is small enough that your not gonna waste the refrigerant.

The right way to do it is to have the system evacuated profesionally, this cleans out the impurities in the system, but I have always skipped this step......just thread the new fittings on, hook up to the low side, and pump it up! The oil they sell with the retro kit is compatible. Ive never had a problem just pumping it up.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
    X