Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everyone said the GTO needed a hood scoop....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone said the GTO needed a hood scoop....

When the new GTO came out, everyone said it was too plain, it needed a hood scoop, etc...

I was on my way to work today and drove past the Pontiac dealership. Sitting out front was a bright yellow GTO... with a hood scoop! I just saw it for a second as I caught it out of the corner of my eye as I drove by... I couldn't tell if it was brand new, stock or if it was used and maybe someone added it on aftermarket. I'll have to take a closer look on my way home.

From what I saw, the scoop was very similar to the ones used on the late 60s cars, and to me, it just didn't look right with the more rounded lines of today's GTO.

Anyone know if Pontiac's started putting hood scoops on the cars? Or was this likely aftermarket? Maybe a dealer-installed option?
    I'll take a closer look on my way home.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Probably a dealer installed option.

I just test drove one yesterday. It took a bit of convincing for the manager of the dealership to let me take it, but the salesman and I had some fun with it. ITs pretty quick- no rocketship, but not bad for such a heavy car. The power of that LS1 is so smooth, it doesnt feel like the car is fast. I hit 95 mph on an onramp for the highway! The salesman was loving every minute. Anyways, it was fun.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

According to GMHTP, the 2005 GTO is supposed to have a hood scoop. The one you saw may be aftermarket or maybe the factory has started supplying them by now.
      Dave S
      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

I stopped on my way home from work this morning. I happened to have my digital camera with me, so I snapped a few pics of it. It was new, but I didn't take notice if it was an 04 or 05. The window sticker listed things like fog lamps and chrome exhaust tips, but nothing for the hood scoop. So I guess it was either an '05 and the scoop is now standard, or it was an '04 with the hood as a dealer installed option. I'm going with the '05 most likely. Here are a few pics of it.....

Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

That little scoop looks embarrassing. Looks kind of like a glue on one.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Man that thing looks ugy. I doubt that scoop would allow enough air to go through to defog the rear view mirror.

Maybe you should have a look under the hood if it is for real.
            97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

There are Suzuki Swifts and Hyundais running around up here with that exact same scoop!!!!!!
              94 Z28/UltraZ Hood & Box/1 1/2 Drop/52mmTB & Bypass/160 Stat/Pulley/ Catback & pipe/Kirkey seats/5 point belts/WW Wing/Ford9"-4.11- Detroit locker-Strange axles/ZEKE'S Heads & LT4 HC/Stainless Headers & Y/1LE Panhard/BMR SFCs-STB-Relo Brackets-Tunnel Brace-Adj Tq arm- Sway bar- LCAs-PHB/ABARE RACING 4L60E/COAN 3200/Monster tach & light/DS Loop

19/09/04[M6]=12.392@113.518 / 1.802 60ft.

10/04/05[A4]=12.29@111.9 /1.652 60ft.

Comment

That is a double-sided tape stick on scoop...whoever, should be embarrassed that they put that on.
                '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

After what Timelord posted, I did a search on Google for hood scoop and the first link that came up was this site

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...scoopsmall.htm

Looks familiar
                  97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

The poor car hasn't even left the lot and some bozo is already starting to rice it out with a stick on hood scoop. This is too disgusting to even imagine.

I say hang 'em!

Comment

I'm sorry, the GTO looks just like my Father-in-Laws Dodge Neon. It is a shame Pontiac fell down in the looks department on such a great performing car. IMO
                      2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
                      buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
                      Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

When GM's Autoshow in Motion came through Raleigh last month, I test drove the GTO through a slalom course. Handled ok, but power was very disappointing IMO.
                        Automatic was better. Stick was very wierd and sluggish.
                        The hood scoop, if that is what they are considering, is fugly. Maybe they will try to put a version of the WS-6 hood on it.
                        1967 Firebird. Needs a lot of work!
                        1976 Black Trans Am. 400 bb, auto. 75% restored.
                        2001 Black Firebird.
                        2005 Legend Lime Mustang GT, SLP Axleback Loudmouths

"Cars are Like Parachutes, if the Main one fails, pull the reserve out "

Comment

GM has their tale between their leggs right now. The GTOs quick release was to hopefully get them through the next few years until their new RWD platform comes out. Anyhow, I don't much care anymore after they let the b-body and f-body die. I am for the new Charger R/T to come out next year. While parting out my suburban, a Regional Rep. for Daimler/Chrysler bought a few items for his 'burban (teased him about driving that). Anyhow, he gave me the low-down on it. Can't say much...but, the prototype that he drove was a two door powered by a 400hp+ 6.1 Hemi...Who needs GM????? They are pushing me closer and closer to Dodge; Dodge actually builds the cars I want...the new multi-displacement Hemi Dodge Magnum is a great car and much much better then the GTO for less money. GM has a Displacement on Demand V8 that gets 30mpg+ in a Silverado, but won't release it because they want sell all of these crappy gas guzzling SUVs first. Forget them...I don't need 'em.... It is pretty bad when they are losing their faithful!
                          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
                          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
                          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
                          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
                          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
                          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

that's a LUND scoop...

LUND also makes a longer version that resembles the RAMAIR on 98+ WS6...

That's degrading...I see LUND scoops on everything...he officially riced that GTO...what a loser.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                              After what Timelord posted, I did a search on Google for hood scoop and the first link that came up was this site

http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...scoopsmall.htm

Looks familiar
                              didn't see this post...see! LUND!!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X