1.6 rollers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 rollers

i was thinking of putting on 1.6 roller rockers but my mechanic says that without a cam, i would only see about a 5 hp increase. Is this true? What type of gains could i expect with the rockers with the mods in my sig.

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
    Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

I think it is more than that. It increases your lift by approx. .030", helps your tune by replacing non-precicion parts, and cools your oil as well. I like that mod and I think it is worthwhile.

Comment

The increased lift along with the decreased friction due to the roller fulcrum and the roller tip will give you at least 20 hp and more likely a little more.

One thing to note. The stock valve springs will be marginally close to coil bind with the addition of the 1.6 rocker. So while your there, I would do new springs and valve seals as well. This can be done w/o pulling the head.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
        The increased lift along with the decreased friction due to the roller fulcrum and the roller tip will give you at least 20 hp and more likely a little more.

One thing to note. The stock valve springs will be marginally close to coil bind with the addition of the 1.6 rocker. So while your there, I would do new springs and valve seals as well. This can be done w/o pulling the head.
        Ive heard that using LT4 springs as a replacement is a good, inexpensive way to go. Is This true, or are there better, cheaper alternatives? Also, will the pushrods stand up to the increase pressure of the LT4 springs? I'm considering this as my next mod, and are looking into some Summit Brand RR's as they are much cheaper than most others. Now do I need 3/8" stud rockers, or 7/16"??
        1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
          Ive heard that using LT4 springs as a replacement is a good, inexpensive way to go. Is This true, or are there better, cheaper alternatives? Also, will the pushrods stand up to the increase pressure of the LT4 springs? I'm considering this as my next mod, and are looking into some Summit Brand RR's as they are much cheaper than most others. Now do I need 3/8" stud rockers, or 7/16"??
          It really depends on how much gross lift the valve spring will see. This will primarily depend on the amount of lift on the cam you choose.

GM rates the LT4 spring to haandle .540" of lift but that is actually a little conservative. The LT4 valve spring has a solid height of 1.220". This is the height of the spring completely compressed. The normal installed height of the LT4 spring is 1.780". So if you subtract the solid height from the installed height, you actually get .560" before coil bind.

So generally speaking, as long as you stay under .560" of lift, the LT4 valve spring should be fine considering you aren't revving the snot out of it.

As far as the rocker stud diameter, my philosophy is "Bigger is Better". The 7/16's are much stronger and won't allow as much "stud flex" as the 3/8's will. The less "stud flex" the more accurate the valvetrain geometry. The more accurate the valvetrain geometry, the more horsepower!!

Comment

The stock LT1 heads and GM Performance parts LT4 heads have 3/8" studs. Factory LT4 heads have 7/16 or 10mm studs.
            LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-bs, 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, tierod, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Thanks guys! My prayers have been answered! LOL! Heres the description of the exact ones I want to get. Should I have any problem installing these on my car? Will I need Guides as well?

Vendor: Summit Racing Equipment
              Product Line: Summit Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms
              Material: Aluminum
              Finish: Anodized Blue

Lightweight horsepower.

Chevrolet: 262-400, 1.6 ratio, 3/8 in. stud, aluminum, anodized blue finish, roller rocker arm set

Save some weight and build horsepower with our Summit aluminum rocker arms. The bodies are CNC machined from high strength extruded aluminum and are heat treated for reliability. To guarantee silky smooth valve operation, we gave them premium needle bearing fulcrums and roller tips. We even include lock nuts and an Allen wrench with them for a quick installation.

Sold as a set.

1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

I think Summit has an application specifically for the LT1, with centerbolt valve covers. Those ones you posted I'm not sure would fit, I think they are for older engines, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I've seen an LT1 specific application (or at least ceneterbolt valave cover application) in their catalog.
                Dave M
                Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

LT1's use the same rocker arms as a small block chevy(SBC) regardless of the valve cover type.

I wouldn't recommend using an aluminum rocker on the street though. Aluminum is used in racing motors because it is lightweight, but at the sacrifice of durability. I would use a steel rocker arm for street use AmericanZ.

Comment

Crane has narrow body rockers for SBC centerbolt valve covers and normal body rockers for older SBC standard valve covers. You also have to use self-aligning rockers for applications that do not have pushrod guides. If you have guides (non-stock) you cannot use the self-aligning rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                      Crane has narrow body rockers for SBC centerbolt valve covers and normal body rockers for older SBC standard valve covers. You also have to use self-aligning rockers for applications that do not have pushrod guides. If you have guides (non-stock) you cannot use the self-aligning rockers.
                      That's what I was thinking of...
                      Dave M
                      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

There's no such thing as an LT1 specific rocker arm. They are the exact same rocker used in a SBC.

The thing with aluminum rockers is the fact that they are designed with a litle more mass in order to be strong enough. In the case of aluminum rockers, yes there are narrow bodied versions designed to provide clearance for late model, centerbolt valve covers.

Aluminum rockers really should not be used on the street though.

So all of the steel rockers out there are the same for SBC and LT1 regardless of valve cover bolt specification.

Comment

Ok, now you guys got me thinking..... Summit also sells Narrow Body Rockers, but at a higher cost. At that price, Id be better off getting the Comp Cams RR's. So will my primary choice not work due to the wider body? If not, then these are my next choice..

Vendor: Competition Cams, Inc.
                          Product Line: Competition Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms
                          Material: Chromemoly Steel
                          Finish: Machined

The strength of steel, the light weight of aluminum.

Chevrolet: 262-400, 1.6 ratio, 3/8 in. rocker arm studs, chromemoly steel, Pro Magnum, roller, rocker arms

Comment

The Pro Magnum is a very quality rocker. And remember what the other Kevin said, if you are going to use hardened or chrome-moly pushrods (which I recommend), then you need to use guide plates and use the NON-self-aligning rocker.

But if you plan on using the stock pushrods, then use the SELF-aligning rocker , and there will be no need to use guide plates.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
                              The Pro Magnum is a very quality rocker. And remember what the other Kevin said, if you are going to use hardened or chrome-moly pushrods (which I recommend), then you need to use guide plates and use the NON-self-aligning rocker.

But if you plan on using the stock pushrods, then use the SELF-aligning rocker , and there will be no need to use guide plates.
                              Ive used the pro magnum rollers on another engine I built for a TPI car. I did have to modify the valve cover to fit over the rocker body. The rocker was too wide. I dont know if this is the case for the LT1 or not. I am running crane gold's on my current car and they require no mods to the cover. If you do have to modify the valve cover to fit the pro magnums, its not a big deal - just a little tweaking
                              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
                              X