more steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more steering

is there any way to make the car steer more, i realize comparted to MOST cars out there we have a HUGE steering diameter, even compared to front wheel drive cars ofcorse with smaller wheel base

it realy is frustrating when u go to a U turn and see people turning with easy yet you have a hell of a time turning unless u widen ur turn first or if u have limited slip diff and swing the rear end arround.... i wanna be able to turn U turns having a 5 or 6 meter diameter not 12 meters!

is it possible is i doable? are there any aftermarket parts to make my fbody steer more without swinging the rear???????

Comment

no replies

so that is the wheels limit of steering or is it limited from the steering block or rack and pinion? can nothing be done at all????

Comment

What you are wanting to do is change the steering ratio. A complete rack and pinion swap with the desired ratio would have to be done. That would change how quickly the car turns in, but won't solve the problem of the total amount of turn in unless the unit being swapped has more total turn. Then you have the issue of tire clearance........

IMHO, learn to make the best of what you have. Eventually you learn how to make it work. My Crew Cab had the turning radius of a bus but I learned how to deal with it.

Comment

wheel base, tire width, all kinds of stuff takes and makes the steering / turning radius what it is.

thats one thing that impressed me about the gmc envoy and trailblazer....those things can turn around on a dime..... gm did some homework there.

if you notice..on larger gm trucks, you know have the option of 4 wheel steering. due to the long wheel bases of these vehicles...that was the only way to give them a decent turning radius......

some exotics offer 4-wheel steering also..... its pretty touchy too....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Yeah I've noticed that as well. My Z has a pretty lousy turning radius also. Oddly enough when I had a 90 full size bronco with 7" of lift and 38" Super Swampers it had a great turning radius. Now I have found that the right aplication of throttle can drastically reduce your turning radius though Other than that you just have to accept it and learn to deal with it. Changing that would be nearly impossible. It's just one of the charachteristics of the design.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Working...
            X