Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car running sluggish

STUPID QUESTION
    I've got a 2000 SS 31,xxx miles still stock, it feels like its not running to its fullest. i say this after comparing it to my buddies 2002 z28 with 26,xxx miles it is also all stock. we ran from a roll on the highway and he just walked away. from a stop we went , i spun a tad more than he did but still the same result got me by a little over a car length. oh, and we both have automatics. ive driven his car and it feels to have more power and throttle response. mine kinda feels sluggish i know this isnt a good comparison but i also raced a friend with a 99 trans am a4 with high miles and we were side by side. ive heard that there isnt much differance bettween the ss & z28 in straight line performance but with me having the slp exhaust and suspension i just think it should be a closer race. i also know the 00ss is rated at 330hp and the 02z28 is rated at 325. it just feels to me that im not running very efficently.
    dose anyone have a suggestion or trouble shooting guide with parts i can check out on the car that may be going bad, that would cause the sluggish lack of response im getting

Thanks for any help--sorry about the dumb question
    --- 2000 NBM A4 Camaro SS #8156 ---
    3,200VIG, B&M 24K super cooler, Coated race style pacesetters , 3" TSP true duals, TSP Clear lid, SLP Smooth bellows, NX wet kit, CFN bottle heater, dyno tune purge, LS1 Edit, Auto meter & ZEX gauges, 160 thermostat, TB Bypass mod, !EGR & !AIR, Madman PHB & LCA's, NITTO 555R's

Never go by factory hp ratings. In the real world 2001 LS1's make around 345hp. 2002 LS2's were given many revisions within the block, heads, LS6 intake, etc.. It is not uncommon to see a 355hp bone stock 2002 LS1.

I have several dyno's of bone stock (absolutely only addition was a K&N filter) 2002 LS1 powered, M6 f-body's put down 315 to the tire. That equates to in excess of 360 hp at the crank.

Comment

ok, that kinda answers my question. i wasnt sure if i should be worried or not, but if its a power differance from the factory i guess every things alright. what was the actual rating for an 00 SS A4? I am going to the track friday to get a baseline before i start adding mods. how much dose putting a stall (3,500) in affect the streetablity of the car? i plan on also getting LT headers, Y pipe, MTI lid, K&N, MAF, smoth bellows, and when the price comes down on the LSX intake getting it also.
      with that - the intake where do you think ide be, low 12.s?
      just a thought, thanks for the insight on factory HP ratings i had heard they were under rated to make the corvette look better.
      3,200VIG, B&M 24K super cooler, Coated race style pacesetters , 3" TSP true duals, TSP Clear lid, SLP Smooth bellows, NX wet kit, CFN bottle heater, dyno tune purge, LS1 Edit, Auto meter & ZEX gauges, 160 thermostat, TB Bypass mod, !EGR & !AIR, Madman PHB & LCA's, NITTO 555R's

Comment

Originally posted by 69_YENKO
        ok, that kinda answers my question. i wasnt sure if i should be worried or not, but if its a power differance from the factory i guess every things alright. what was the actual rating for an 00 SS A4? I am going to the track friday to get a baseline before i start adding mods. how much dose putting a stall (3,500) in affect the streetablity of the car? i plan on also getting LT headers, Y pipe, MTI lid, K&N, MAF, smoth bellows, and when the price comes down on the LSX intake getting it also.
        with that - the intake where do you think ide be, low 12.s?
        just a thought, thanks for the insight on factory HP ratings i had heard they were under rated to make the corvette look better.
        I had a 3800 stall behind a 239/245 cam in my 97 WS6 and it wasn't too bad on the street. Stop lights on a hill are fun but you get used to it. Texans have a slightly different version of "streetable". If you go with a big stall and plan on driving on the street alot, I would install a tranny temp gauge as bigger stalls make the tranny run warmer doing lots of stop and go.

Most of the stock 00 SS's are right around 340-345 hp.

Comment

yea my idea of streetable is going about one step above what the "experts" say is streetable, i have always heard 2,500 is about as high as you want to go for the street, i have a 3,500 hughes converter in my '85 regal. Rolling back at lights and high tranny temps are nothing new but i am new to the LS1/F-Body game so i figured i would ask before i waist 800 bucks on a stall. what manufacture do you recomend? so far ive found yank, and vigalanty-

Comment

Vigilante by far. Yanks are not bad but a Vigilante will take whatever you can throw at it.

Comment

Thanks..

Comment

got any pics of your yenko?

Comment

its actualy a 69 396 Nova SS but i am planning on making it a Yenko clone when i repaint it, but that wont be for a while (the camaro is my new toy) as for pictures i have some but i dont have a scanner, the next time i get around one i plan on scanning a bunch of my car pics to a disk.

Comment

Originally posted by 69_YENKO
                    its actualy a 69 396 Nova SS but i am planning on making it a Yenko clone when i repaint it, but that wont be for a while (the camaro is my new toy) as for pictures i have some but i dont have a scanner, the next time i get around one i plan on scanning a bunch of my car pics to a disk.
                    Sounds good.

Comment

quick question, how can i post a picture on my signature? i have one of the SS that i copied off the ebay ad before i bought the car.

Comment

Place a link to an image on a server in between the image tags in your signature info within your user profile.

Like this:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Go to user cp then edit profile then place the text in the attached image above but replacing with your own info.

Comment

just testin it out

Comment

trying again

Comment

Working...
                              X