dirty fuel tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty fuel tank

I read the thread on the fuel pumps on the 4th Gen f-bodys. and I sure dont want to drop my axle just to clean 4 years of sitting idle out of my '83 TA . I tried draining tank by pressurizing the filler neck and catching the fuel @ the supply line @ the mechanical pump. I got it fairly empty then filtered my gas and refilled it. I beleave the tank pick up is obstructed . The logical answer is to drop the tank but with welded in Cat converter and stock rear muffler spaghetti I want to avoid that if possible.
    My questions are these:

Does the pick-up have a sock on it that is plugged or is it a open tube ?

Think flushing it again and again will acomplish anything ?

Maybe a performance mechanical pump will have more suction and will eventually pump the crud out into my cleanable gas filter?

Re: dirty fuel tank

Originally posted by oldschool
    I read the thread on the fuel pumps on the 4th Gen f-bodys. and I sure dont want to drop my axle just to clean 4 years of sitting idle out of my '83 TA . I tried draining tank by pressurizing the filler neck and catching the fuel @ the supply line @ the mechanical pump. I got it fairly empty then filtered my gas and refilled it. I beleave the tank pick up is obstructed . The logical answer is to drop the tank but with welded in Cat converter and stock rear muffler spaghetti I want to avoid that if possible.
    My questions are these:

Does the pick-up have a sock on it that is plugged or is it a open tube ?

Think flushing it again and again will acomplish anything ?

Maybe a performance mechanical pump will have more suction and will eventually pump the crud out into my cleanable gas filter?
    It is possible to remove the carpet in the rear hatch area and cut out the trunk floor just above the fuel tanks sending unit openning. Perform your required service to the pickup / tank and rivet a new piece of sheetmetal over the hole. Finish by replacing the carpet.

Your only alternative is to drop the axle and remove the tank.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Re: Re: dirty fuel tank

Originally posted by TraceZ
      It is possible to remove the carpet in the rear hatch area and cut out the trunk floor just above the fuel tanks sending unit openning. Perform your required service to the pickup / tank and rivet a new piece of sheetmetal over the hole. Finish by replacing the carpet.

Your only alternative is to drop the axle and remove the tank.
      Thanks but I guess I cant bear to carve up this "83 TA just to save myself a bunch of labor. Of to Sears to score 18 and 21 mm 6pt. 1/2 dr sockets tomorrow. Book says only remove one control arm at a time I hope just the right one will do. Does this make sense can it really be that hard to align things?

Comment

Not hard to align if the unibody is supported by the jack stands and the suspension is allowd to hang freely. Placing a jack under the differential and the use of a pry bar, the rear is easy to alighn.

Comment

Working...
        X