Adding a CD player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a CD player

I have two questions I am sure you all can answer.

I have a 95 Firebird with an AM/FM/cassette. I want to put a CD player in the car. I am thinking of getting an OEM unit from e-bay or the like. My questions concerns the Monsoon radio vs. the normal (non-monsoon) CD player. Will both directly plug in or will I need a different wiring harness for the Monsoon?

My second question deals with the radio controls on the steering wheel. Mine don't work. I don't have any blown fuses, so what is your best guess as to the cause of this problem?

Thanks
    Robert

Swapping out an O.E.M. cd player will work just fine. I put one of my old factory cd players in a grand am that just had the tape player, without the monsoon system. The wiring harnesses are the same.
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

You need a lot more than a wiring harness to run a Monsoon radio in a non-Monsoon car. If you don't have Monsoon, consider yourself lucky, as it will take a lot less work to switch to all aftermarket stuff, which I highly recommend. If you insist on having a full 1.5 din radio (aka "no kit needed") get the Pioneer or Alpine. I have the Pioneer, and have absolutely nothing but praise for them in my four years of ownership. Awesome radio. While you're at it, replace all the speakers too, because they will blow a lot quicker with the aftermarket radio due to more power. You should be able to do the whole thing for less than $400 installed.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

if im' not mistaken, headunits are the same...aside from "monsoon" stamped on the units. the difference is that all the signals from the headunit are sent to another unit (crossovers and amp) that sits behind the spare tire. from there it goes to the speakers...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks

More research and your help has convinced me to stay away from the swap to the monsoon.

Does anyone have an idea why my steerinh wheel controls aren't working?

Robert

Comment

I've only worked on steering wheel controls once and it was a bad cable between the controls and the radio. I'm pretty sure it was all in the column, but it's been a long time. Maybe somebody else can help you out.

Comment

STOP.....

I just added a 10 disk changer that works with the standard radio in my car.
              I have a 99 Transam Convertable, and spent $250 on a "Neo changer"

check them out at www.neocaraudio.com the specs said it would NOT work with my factory system, but I called them anyway, and yes, it works fine, and the steering wheel controls work with it just dandy.

i could have spen $1006 at the local dealer to buy the changer (GM) but thought that this would be worth a shot.
              I followed the instructions, (extremely easy, even a 3 yr old could do it), and in about 1 hour, it was fully installed and working.

Comment

when switching out the factory radio i would suggest going to the aftermarket. for one you get way better stuff at a way better price. the monson system is supposed to be 500 watts and i can tell you that it is not even close. i have a 450 watt amplifier from jl audio and trust me i can blow any monson radio away. to switch to the monson system you would need all the pieces(amp, crossovers and anything else they may hide under the dash). you will be so much happier with the aftermarket. you can probably get a louder cleaner sound from just a head unit then with the entire monson system. why gm never looked into a real audio company to do there radios i will never understand. they walked away from bose and that was the best offering to date from a factory radio.
                1994 Trans Am GT
                http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
                Ram Air hood and airbox
                headers
                exhaust
                lowered 2"
                underdrive pully
                sloted rotors
                electric water pump
                air foil
                denso plugs
                taylor wires
                tinted windows
                eagle rims
                2000 watt stereo

Comment

You make one of only two people in the world that I have ever heard say that factory Bose is "good" equipment. The saying in the car audio world is "No High's, No Low's, It Must Be Bose". Bose sounds horrible in GM stuff, even their new stuff in the Escalades can't hold a candle to my Pioneer/Directed/MB Quart system that probably cost less than what the dealer charges you for their system.

Bose breaks, Bose costs a ton of money to fix, and Bose is next to impossible to integrate into without costly components from other aftermarket companies. Aftermarket stuff is better all around.

Comment

no, no, no.....i did not mean to say that bose was good. it is better then most stock radios but that is by no means good. i totally agree that they suck in the real world and are WAY overpriced and have NO bass let alone mids or highs. I am alpine and J.L. Audio all the way so if you want the best try them but please do not think i like Bose i may ...lol
                    1994 Trans Am GT
                    http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
                    Ram Air hood and airbox
                    headers
                    exhaust
                    lowered 2"
                    underdrive pully
                    sloted rotors
                    electric water pump
                    air foil
                    denso plugs
                    taylor wires
                    tinted windows
                    eagle rims
                    2000 watt stereo

Comment

HEy Rufrider what kind of rims are those on your TA?
                      1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
                      "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Working...
                      X