K&N oil filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N oil filter

Just put one in over the weekend. I usually get the Mobil 1 oil filter, but they were out. Has anyone else used a K&N oil filter?

One of the features I liked is a valve that prevents all of the oil from draining out of the filter when you shut down the engine. That's supposed to reduce wear on startup when the car sits for days at a time, like my garage queen.

Re: K&N oil filter

Originally posted by Bond Hawk
    Just put one in over the weekend. I usually get the Mobil 1 oil filter, but they were out. Has anyone else used a K&N oil filter?

One of the features I liked is a valve that prevents all of the oil from draining out of the filter when you shut down the engine. That's supposed to reduce wear on startup when the car sits for days at a time, like my garage queen.
    how do you know if the valve "sticks" closed though.........suddenly your are not filtering good.........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Re: K&N oil filter

Originally posted by Bond Hawk

don't most higher end filters have a drain-back valve?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I couldn't find any mention of this drain back valve on the Mobil 1 filter, only the K&N filter. All filters have a bypass valve, which bypasses the filter media if it gets clogged, so the engine still gets oil, albeit unfiltered.

Comment

I have been using them for quite some time. I think the best feature about them is that to take them off you use a 1" socket! I hate having multiple oil filter wrenches for different vehicles, not to mention when someone borrows one and doesn't return it. Looks like good materials too.
          1995 Firebird Formula
          (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

they are really well build, at least the outside. I used to work at an oil change shop in highschool. When we took my K&N filter off, we beat the crap out of it with blunt objects. It took more beating than anyother filter. It is constructed very well....at least from the outside...don't know about the inside though.
            2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Comment

Working...
            X