Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I picked up the Firebird 400 this weekend.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I picked up the Firebird 400 this weekend.

This is going to be a project...but it should be fun. I will take some pics this week. I have noticed a few more rust problems now that I have it home. The car has been in primer forever so some of the sheet metal is developing surface rust...kind of a bummer. A generous use of a slide-hammer was performed in all the wrong ways by the person who worked on it last. I am not too worried because I am going to blast every piece and finish every piece off of the car. It has all of the original interior; although, I will need to get a new kit for it. It will be fun.
    '77 K5 rock-crawler project
    '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
    '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
    '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
    '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
    My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Man I wish I had the space and the tools to do a project like that.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Space is the hard one for me. I have two spaces in the garage that my '79 and '97 occupy as well as three spaces in my carport where I keep the Vette. I won't put the '79 outside so that leaves one space in the garage. I have a temp garage in my carport so I can put the '97 in there while I work on the Firebird. It is kind of a pain. As soon as I have time, I am putting that Vette back together and selling it...it was my x's car anyway. In about five years, I should have the money to build my shop in the back yard...can't wait!!!
      '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
      My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What year 'bird did you get? I have a 67 bird, it's always nice to see/hear of a new restoration on one of these awesome beasts.
        Oroan's woman loves her 67' Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by Ravven
          What year 'bird did you get? I have a 67 bird, it's always nice to see/hear of a new restoration on one of these awesome beasts.

It is a '68 Firebird 400. It doesn't have the original motor, but it does have a '70 R/A III (#16 heads) completely rebuilt and ready to drop in. It was a project that was abandoned after the body panels and floor pans were replaced and rear end installed so it is totally pulled apart and most of the interior and exterior pieces are in boxes. The rear is a Ford 9"; the back is mildly tubed to fit 295/50/15s. I am unsure if it was a manual or auto car...It came with a built TH350. It should be a fun project. I have always repainted junk and body panels for friends, but I have never done a full body off restoration. I am going to go crazy with this and build a unique hot rod out of it that I can take to shows and hopefully get a little attention...build my shop, and have some fun and make some money. This was a perfect candidate because the expensive stuff is there; it is just my labor to build it.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

68 is an excellent year...and a 400 is even better. Good luck with it
            -----------------------
            1994 Camaro
            -----------------------
            3.4 SFI
            Z28 interior
            Imco Exaust(its okay)
            Dynotech Racing chip(waste)

-----------------------------
            1978 Firebird Formula
            -----------------------------
            Pontiac 350
            Turbo 350 Transmission
            Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
            Edelbrock 4 Barrel Carb.
            Edelbrock 14" Air Cleaner
            Edelbrock Valve Covers
            Flowmaster Dual Exaust

Comment

WOW!!! Nice...

My baby has a 70 model 455 engiine and a TH400. I think you got a great car. Sadly, I left my 69 with the X since he ruined the rearend from driving it when I told him not to.... men... Just kidding. It's only men that don't take advice seriously causse it came from a woman..HAHA...obviously, some of us know what we're talking about.

I let it stay cause I didn't have 2K to replace it. My 67 is so much better anyway.

Good luck on the project, take LOTS of pix, and keep us all posted on the progress!!!!

Raven
              Attached Files
              Oroan's woman loves her 67' Firebird

Comment

Working...
              X