hit in parking lot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hit in parking lot

so i come out to my car and about 10 feet away I see white marks on the side of my car. I was parked way form all other cars, and it wasnt a store with shoping carts so im not sure how it could have happened... It looked like someone had a bag with a zipper on and rub down the side of my car, it doent look like it was key marks. I was able to buff most of it to allright looking, but I would like it to look better. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I try touch up paint.

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

try to clay it...if its not deep...Zaino might work. or get a rubbing compound

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

If the clay doesn't work, try wet sanding it with a 2000 grit paper first. That might be all you need to get it out. Then use a polishing compound to bring the shine back.
      Dave S
      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
        If the clay doesn't work, try wet sanding it with a 2000 grit paper first. That might be all you need to get it out. Then use a polishing compound to bring the shine back.
        I respectfully disagree with this post, try anything other than sanding! You will sand straight through the clear coat if you do this. That will lead to other problems. I would try something else before I ever tried sanding. Just my $0.02.

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by TODD 2000 V6 CAMARO
          I respectfully disagree with this post, try anything other than sanding! You will sand straight through the clear coat if you do this. That will lead to other problems. I would try something else before I ever tried sanding. Just my $0.02.
          I agree to try the lightest methods first, but 2000 grit paper won't hurt a decent clear coat if done correctly.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
            I agree to try the lightest methods first, but 2000 grit paper won't hurt a decent clear coat if done correctly.
            I second this! But before you do move onto the paper, try adhesive remover. Just be careful with it because it could damage your paint if it is too abrasive. I had to use sand paper to get a burn stain off of the hood when a bottle rocket fell on it. A few light strokes, rubbing compound, and polish, and it was back to normal.
            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Stop!

Before you do anything, a mild paint cleaner should be used. A product such as liquid ebony or a mild polishing compound. If that fails, I would highly recommend an aluminum oxide sanding gel. It is more user friendly to a novice than wet sanding and buffing. The gel is applied with a foam pad and either electric drill motor or buffer, it also polishes at the same time it removes the imperfections so there is no additional buffing needed. This is by far the best way for a non professional to remove paint imperfections.

Comment

Working...
              X