• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safety alert

alot of us know this...some dont though:

Shell Oil Co. Announcement
    Importance: High

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations.

In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car.

And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that:
    Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes

Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition

Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.

Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (i.e. solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.)

To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules for Safe Refueling

1) Turn off engine
    2) Don't smoke
    3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
    4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of "static electricity" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:
    1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
    2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
    3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
    4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
    5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
    6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
    7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
    8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.

If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping,
    make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with
    several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware
    of this danger. You can find out more information by going to <http://www.pei.org/> . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time. Thanks for passing this along.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

I don't believe it for one second. Think about the concentration of fuel fumes that you would need to have to get to ignite by a random spark generated by static electricity. Open or free air such as a gas station is going to allow the fumes to dissapate too quickly to allow such a feat.

This was also proved to be improbable (read, not impossible) on that discovery show "Mythbusters". They even tried it in an enclosed boxed in "container" if you will which had an open bucket with well over a gallon of gas just sitting there Still no go. They had to ignite the fuel itself.

I call bs.
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Originally posted by Fastbird93
      I don't believe it for one second. Think about the concentration of fuel fumes that you would need to have to get to ignite by a random spark generated by static electricity. Open or free air such as a gas station is going to allow the fumes to dissapate too quickly to allow such a feat.

This was also proved to be improbable (read, not impossible) on that discovery show "Mythbusters". They even tried it in an enclosed boxed in "container" if you will which had an open bucket with well over a gallon of gas just sitting there Still no go. They had to ignite the fuel itself.

I call bs.
      Not BS. Ken speaks the truth...
      Check out the video. All you need to do is get in the car, and get out agin to give youself a static charge. If you fail to ground yourself before touching the pump... fire
      VIDEO
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

The difference is that girl, built up a spark by getting in and out of her car. Which has been proven and well documented to cause gas fires at the pump.

Mythbusters showed that the cell phone did not provide enough spark to ignite the flames. I don't see how a cell phone could cause it.

The only explination I could see is if the cell phone was a coincidence and it was actually a static charge from the person on the phone that caused the flame at the pump.

randy
        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

I agree...this is a long running foklore. While working at Honeywell several years back, this message, while slightly different, was circulated to all 120,000 employees via email. After receiving literaly thousands of complaints from people who said this was a hoax, Honeywell researched the issue and later retracted the email. It's all over snopes.com and also has been tested (and debunked) by Mythbusters. There is simply not enough spark energy in a cell phone nor is the concentration of gasoline to air correct enough in 99.9999% of the cases. Static electricity discharge from clothing is the cause.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Well I agree, wait no I don't....

I agree that a cell phone causing a fire in this instance is a little bit o' FUD (Fear, uncertainty, and Doubt, for those who haven't heard), I also agree that fueling a vehicle with a substance that is flammable should be done with a degree of caution that precludes talking on the phone. We see this behavior while people are driving as well. They pay attention to the phone call and not what should be their primary focus.

I could rant for DAYS about distracted driving, but it applies to other tasks as well. No, a cell phone most likely will not ever catch you on fire as the primary cause, however, it's ability to lead to other causes of a disaster is enough to leave it in the car.

You have voice-mail right? Call them back when you are not otherwise occupied.

/rant

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
            95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
            Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

i find the cell phone thing weird too......but Shell Oil came out with this stuff...... and its been checked over by the Feds (which..can mean nuttin....LOL)

the static thing is real folks. NHTSA confirmed that.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
              Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
              sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
              X