need camshaft help (LT4)...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need camshaft help (LT4)...

OK, so many of you guys know I have my motor out once again and this time for a complete rebuild.

I am trying to confirm the LT4 Hotcam that is supposedly in it. It has the numbers "109 97L" laser cut into it on the back of the cam. Underneith those numbers is "586 WB", stamped in. Can anyone confirm these as hotcam numbers? THey are the only numbers anywhere on the cam.

Also, if it is a hotcam, is that my best option? If it is, should I install it straight up, or otherwise? Could I use another cam that might make some more power for me? Im taking suggestions as this will be the last motor job I want to do for a while
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

wish i could....but my lt4 hot is installed in my old CompTA 5 years ago...and sold this feb. to a friend....(the car).....so i cant help.....

sorry

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I'm not sure how well your valvetrain setup is done, but to make more power with your n20, you need a cam that is designed to work with nitrous.

Here would be two pretty good choices considering moderate head porting and a valvetrain that will handle the lift:

TS-230XL 230/242 duration, .544"/.576", 114lsa
      TS-233XR 233/242 duration, .569"/.576", 115lsa

These aren't wild by any means, but they aren't mild either.

Comment

What needs to be done to "handle the lift"? I have mildy ported LT4 heads, new Lt4 springs, retainers etc, and the crane gold rollers.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          What needs to be done to "handle the lift"? I have mildy ported LT4 heads, new Lt4 springs, retainers etc, and the crane gold rollers.
          Basically just new springs to handle the additional lift. LT4 springs are good up to around .550" - .560" of lift and have a fairly soft spring rate.

The Comp Cams 987-16's would be a good choice. They are a much stiffer spring and are good to .650" of lift.

They are $79.95 for a full set of 16 here:
          http://www.lt1f-body.racenet.net/valvetrain.php

Comment

Working...
          X