Still not done with ram air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not done with ram air

So far I managed to get the ram air hood installed. I have some of the components for the upgrade to the "stock" ram air already.

A couple more parts are on order. Like I said it will be close to stock except the K&N filter and the bellow. I'm thinking of getting the Fernco piece instead of the stock part.

What is the correct size of that adaptor, part #?

Looking at some pics it looks like you have to drill a hole for the OPTI vacuum hose into the bellow. Any tips on that?

There's a hole in the ram air filter box on the passenger side which I believe is for the IAT sensor. Haven't seen a picture so far to confirm that.

The bottom of the air box is supposedly bolted down. What would be the best way of installing the whole assy? Bolt the Maf, bellow and air box all together and onto the TB and then bolt down the air box? Or...?
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

The Fernco sewer pipe connector is part # 1056-33. It is a 3"x3" connector and comes with stainless steel worm clamps. $5 at your local hardware store. The actual inside diameter is 85mm, or about 3.35".

The hole on the passenger side of the air box is for the IAT sensor.

You will need a small hole in the Fernco to mount the blue elbow for the Opti air supply line.

Heat the Fernco in hot water, and squiggle it over the throttle body. Than insert the MAF, then push the bottom of the airbox over the MAF (I think there is a rubber ring that goes in between, but I don't run an MAF), then put the two screws in that hold the airbox to the radiator cover. Then put the filter in and put the top on.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

To add to what Fred said:
      The ferco will need a hole for the opti vent so just punch a hole through the desired location. The ram air box will attach to your radiator support before you fully assemble the filter and lid. Since I frequently pulled mine, what I liked was to attach the maf and bellows to the airbox. Slide the bellow over the TB, drop the air cleaner assembly down onto the upper radiator support and bolt it down. Hook up the IAT, the air pump hose, opti vent hose, connect the maf harness, add the air filter and lid with the securing screws/knobs, you're good to go!

Comment

Thanks Fred and Joe for your input.

Can't wait to get it all together. Also got the 160 TS and I'm planning on doing the TB bypass at the same time.

I will also try to figure out the G-Tech Pro I got a while back and see if I can get some numbers before and after the upgrade. Just for comparison.

Now if I could only convince my wife that I really need a Borla system to gain some more extra power.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
        X