exhaust leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust leak

I have an exhaust leak. It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front of the car. The car is a rust free Texas car, so I know it is not corrosion. After the car warms up it goes completely away.

Were there any places that were common for a leak like this? I'm hoping it's not the exhaust manuifold gasket.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

When I put the SLP headers on I was getting a small leak at the collector flange. Where the manifold meats the y pipe seems to be some noise from there. Double check there.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

When I had my 95 Formula I had that exact problem. It turned out to be the manifold. I let it go for a while and then it got bad enough I couldn't stand it. I decided to do it myself. It was a pain to do but at least it didn't cost me much.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
        When I had my 95 Formula I had that exact problem. It turned out to be the manifold. I let it go for a while and then it got bad enough I couldn't stand it. I decided to do it myself. It was a pain to do but at least it didn't cost me much.
        It looks like I need to order a gasket. What is the best one?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I used a felpro. No problems with it. Good luck.....Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Be glad it's the driver's side.

Sounds to me like the manifold to block gasket. As stuff heats up they expand, the leak diminishes. Seen it many times. Since you'll have to remove it, is it time to do plugs and wires too? It much easier at that time........

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              Be glad it's the driver's side.

Sounds to me like the manifold to block gasket. As stuff heats up they expand, the leak diminishes. Seen it many times. Since you'll have to remove it, is it time to do plugs and wires too? It much easier at that time........
              Good point, Joe. What are the best plugs and wires for a stock motor?
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                Good point, Joe. What are the best plugs and wires for a stock motor?
                I still say stock. My original plugs and wires lasted 105K miles before the ignition started to break up. They outlasted the opti, so it sure seems like they are the perfect choice for a stocker. Granted, I run an MSD unit, but that wasn't added until right before the plug and wire swap.

Comment

Status report

Well..... The car is sitting in the garage now, minus one exhaust manifold, an alternator and 8 spark plugs. The exhaust manifold bolts were all loose, and came out too easily. I know why it was leaking now.

The gaps on the plugs were all over the place, totally inconsistant. Plug #4 was completely loose, out about a full turn. I removed it without using a wrench.

Plug #2 required removal of the alternator, and plug # 8 required me to be a contortionist. It wasnt all that bad, though.

I pulled a "dammit" and broke the plug off the temperature sender in the head. I'll have to order a new one of those. The harness was undamaged.

I'm thinking the wires are good, so I'm just going to replace the plugs with properly gapped new ones and make sure they are all tight. (along with the exhaust manifold.)

I'm curious as to how much horsepower the loose plug, and all the improperly gapped ones were costing me. Any ideas??
                  The car seemed to run OK. I was not expecting to find these problems. I should use anti-seize on the new plugs, right?
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

I'm telling ya.... replace the wires or you'll be pissed when you have to do it all over again in 20K miles.

yes, use inti seize on the plug threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                      I'm telling ya.... replace the wires or you'll be pissed when you have to do it all over again in 20K miles.

yes, use inti seize on the plug threads.
                      Man. I'm torn. I'd like to do it, but they look like a bigger PITA than the plugs, and I only put on 5K a year.... 20K is 4 years down the road. I'm sure they'll last another couple seasons, no?

Is there an easy way to change them from below maybe, I didnt look too closely at them when I was under there disconnecting the Y pipe.
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

The driver's side is easy. The passenger side can test your faith in the man upstairs.

Comment

Re: Status report

Originally posted by TraceZ
                          Plug #2 required removal of the alternator, and plug # 8 required me to be a contortionist. It wasnt all that bad, though.
                          Come on Trace.. Couldn't be as bad as removing the oil filter on Brian's 1980 Turbo T/A .... You needed three elbows on your left arm for that job.
                          Austin Schroeger
                          Looking to Buy 1994-97 F-Body

Comment

Re: Re: Status report

Originally posted by aschroeger
                            Come on Trace.. Couldn't be as bad as removing the oil filter on Brian's 1980 Turbo T/A .... You needed three elbows on your left arm for that job.
                            Ha, yeah no kidding.

Well, I have the plugs, they are Delco 41-906 platinums. The parts girl told me they are pre-gapped. I dont believe that, because the gaps look terrible. I'm going to gap them to .050 myself.

I noticed some slag on 3 of them where the electrode welds to the body of the plug and removed it with my fingernail. It would had sucked for those little chunks to have gotten into my motor.

I still need to pick up some anti-seize on my way home from work this afternoon. I should have it running again tonite if all goes as planned.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:

Comment

I agree replace the wires. You'll be happy that you did (After your finished....).

Did you really have an exahust leak or were you hearing the noise from the loose plug?

Gary94Formula
                              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Working...
                              X