Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/t launch

how its best?

put it in D, 3, or change gears like 1,2,3, D?
    Press the pedal all the way or just a bit more than halfway?
    I noticed that if I push it all the way its not going right
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

LAUNCH

Im dont know too much about autos but from what I hear from other people its probably best to leave it in D. If you shift your gears over a period of time it could mess up your tranny and thats not to cheap but thats just what I heard. I dont klnow if thats the case or not but one of these other guys would probably know. Of course I dont know anything myself so. Just a little bored I guess. See ya

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

I found to get the best times in my 94 Formula - I'd hold the brake down, and hit the gas to like 1,300 rpms. Leave the selector in 3.

Right when I launch, I let off the brake, and give it a little more gas, then a split second later once it's rolling, floor it.

That got me the best times.
      99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
        I found to get the best times in my 94 Formula - I'd hold the brake down, and hit the gas to like 1,300 rpms. Leave the selector in 3.

Right when I launch, I let off the brake, and give it a little more gas, then a split second later once it's rolling, floor it.

That got me the best times.

Exactly. That is exactly how I used to do it in my auto cars.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Great Minds Think alike... LOL.... That is also how I got the best times out of my old 97' Formula auto. 1300 rpms, hold brake, then floor it. Never had a traction problem that way. The best 1/8 mile run I had was 9.1 something.... Not bad for a stock Formula with 89K miles......

Current Project: 1986 Buick T-type, 71K miles
          Previous Vehicles:
          99' M6 Z28
          98' M6 TA
          97' Formula
          96' RS Camaro
          93' Z28 B4C pckg.

Comment

why did you put it into third. why not drive. i know it will never get to 4 in a 1/4 mile but doew it really matter? also i have a performance shift button...has anyone noticed a diffrnce with this on or off. mine has a shift kit so i do not know how big a diffrence it made when it was stock but it shifts very hard and fast when turned on now
            1994 Trans Am GT
            http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
            Ram Air hood and airbox
            headers
            exhaust
            lowered 2"
            underdrive pully
            sloted rotors
            electric water pump
            air foil
            denso plugs
            taylor wires
            tinted windows
            eagle rims
            2000 watt stereo

Comment

Originally posted by rufrider76
              why did you put it into third. why not drive. i know it will never get to 4 in a 1/4 mile but doew it really matter? also i have a performance shift button...has anyone noticed a diffrnce with this on or off. mine has a shift kit so i do not know how big a diffrence it made when it was stock but it shifts very hard and fast when turned on now
              As for why you put it in 3 and not D..... the line pressure is higher in "3" than it is in "D", at least it was in the old 4L60 trannies, not sure about the 4L60E. Higher line pressure means quicker, firmer shifts. I can't speak for the performance shift button, but a shift kit will make a HUGE difference in tranny performance.
              Dave M
              Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

yeah it is pretty uncomfortable to drive with the performace shift on unless you are hauling a$$. I did notice though that when it is off it will chirp the tires going into second. is this because it is revving up while it shifts. Being that it shifts faster with the performance button on it does not rev as much so it does not break the tires loose or it it something totally diffrent
                1994 Trans Am GT
                Ram Air hood and airbox
                headers
                exhaust
                lowered 2"
                underdrive pully
                sloted rotors
                electric water pump
                air foil
                denso plugs
                taylor wires
                tinted windows
                eagle rims
                2000 watt stereo

Comment

I believe the performance shift button does nothing other than move the shift point to a higher rpm at partial throttle. At full throttle there should be no difference between button on or off.
                  '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Performance Mode

Purpose:
                    The performance mode switch enables the operator to select a more aggressive shift pattern within the midrange throttle position (40% - 100%).

Operation:
                    When the performance mode is selected, the B+ performance mode input signal is momentarily toggled to zero volts. The PCM enters performance mode and turns on the performance mode indicator lamp (within the switch). While in performance mode, shifts will be firmer and delayed 1-3 mph upshifts or 1-3 mph downshifts. Normal operation is obtained by toggling the performance mode switch again, or when the ignition switch is cycled "OFF" then "ON".
                    Richard Harvey Jr.
                    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

so way the wheel spin when it is off. when it is on it shifts a lot harder as well
                      1994 Trans Am GT
                      Ram Air hood and airbox
                      headers
                      exhaust
                      lowered 2"
                      underdrive pully
                      sloted rotors
                      electric water pump
                      air foil
                      denso plugs
                      taylor wires