Question about pressure gauges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pressure gauges

I've noticed that the price difference between an oil pressure gauge and a fuel pressure gauge is dramatic, especially when you consider the differences in electric prices. I've heard of companies that claim you can use an oil pressure gauge in either application, yet the price difference between the specific titles is extraordinary. Is there any reason that I can't run an electric oil pressure gauge on my fuel system?

Right now I have a mechanical gauge on my car, and get this, it's off of an air compressor! It works great, but I don't like the idea of having a pressurized fuel line running into my car (not to mention the fact that NHRA would have a fit) so it's currently mounted on the cowl. I want it in my console next to my nitrous pressure gauge, but the only safe way to do it is electric. At the same time, I don't want to spend $150 on a specific gauge if an oil version of it will work as well. Any thoughts?
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

All you need is a gauge isolator. It is a device that seperates the fluid circuits. You would mount it outside the passenger compartment, and run the isolated fluid line into the passenger compartment. That way if the gauge fails, oil or fuel are not present in the passenger compartment side of the circuit and you still have mechanical gauges.

Comment

How does that work? I assume it attaches to the schrader valve, then has a "fluid medium" so to speak that is non-flammable that actually pushes against the back of the gauge that is mounted in the car?

Comment

There are two fluid lines with the isolater in between. The "hot" side is the connection to either the fuel system or the oil system and the isolater. The "cold" side goes between the isolator and the gauge and contains inert fluid. The hot side pushes against the isolator and the energy is applied to the cold side. This way if either line ruptures or the gauge fails, the passenger compartment is never exposed to fuel or oil. The only possible exception is if the isolator fails which generally still contains the fluids until a replacement diaphram or new unit is installed.

Comment

How much is this isolator thing and where can I get them?

Comment

Here's one from JEGs, I belive Summit has them as well.........

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...48&prmenbr=361

Comment

Working...
            X