Exhaust experts inside please....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust experts inside please....

I am in a debate with another enthusiast about the theories of exhaust flow. The specific instance is a 95-97 dual cat Y pipe that has had the cats gutted and rewelded to resemble stock. He claims that there is an increase in performance and I contend that a performance increase is doubtful. My opinion is that simply gutting the cats can eliminate some backpressure, but due to the rough and varied dimensions, the flow would actually be disturbed by the turbulence created by the now gutted cats. The drivers side cat appears to be the worst culprit. If it were gutted, the exhaust would exit the manifold, down the headpipe, into the cat with a rapidly expanding internal dimension that then rapidly necks down again. The passenger side cat under the floor is a different design but still would creat the same effect. Just as every bend in the exhaust pipe causes the air to change direction and have different velocities at each axis of the pipe bend, the gutted cats would produce small eddies in the flow that would disturb flow at higher velocities. The correct solution for a stealth off road pipe would be to make a solid pipe running through the cats and the shell of the cat rewelded around the pipe. This would, form the outside look totally stock, yet a smooth and consistantly flowing pipe would produce the best flow at WOT.

Before someone says that dual cats started in 96, California cars used dual cats in 95 even though still OBD1.

Am I just exhausting hot air?

I am not an expert, but I would agree with you completely. I have always thought about putting a phony "box" around a straight pipe to make it look like cats were there.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

i agree

you should never go down in size on the same piece o pipe. what are ya trying to do, make it pass visual inspection without backflow? it aint gonna pass technical.
      http://www.sounddomain.com/id/magnetheadz28

Kenwood Krc-335(soon to be HU)]
      Kenwood Kdc-c669 (soon to be cd changer)
      Lanzar Vibe 418 (subwoofer amp)
      Lanzar Vibe 218 (6x9 amp)
      Subwoofers: bazooka EL1204

Comment

NO inspections in Florida... right Joe ????
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

No, there aren't any emissions inspections in Florida. This is more of an issue in other types of inspections...... where someone takes a peek under your ride and sees how stock you are before choosing to run you. It is ssssooooo much fun to look bone stock, but blow their doors off. With my Grand National, for years the only thing that tipped someone off that it wasn't stock was a Jet hot coated 3" downpipe. Unless you knew what you were looking at, it would still pass for stock. The block was painted factory black, stock valve covers, stock headers, stock intake, larger turbo under a stock turbo shield, No gauge pods or 5" tachs on the dash... I mean it looked like Grandpa's car. Gramp's car that ran low 11s that is.

Comment

I agree with the whole idea with the airflow. Any extra spacing in the pipes, especially since the cats are in such a weird spot would cause uneven airflow. Like stated above just make sure the pipe you are adding in before you reweld the cats around it are the same size. The flow will be much smoother and you will be much happier with the results. One of my friends did the same thing you are talking about doing and he noticed a difference and it looks completely stock.
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
            Traded in: 1998 Z28
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Working...
            X