Started Oil Pump Replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started Oil Pump Replacement

I started replacing my oil pump tonight. I actually got the old pump out about 30 minutes ago before I gave up for the night to get some sleep. Nothing visually broken on it. I was thinking it was going to have a crack in it like wolfman described to me but the pump itself looked fine but I'm sure the internals aren't. I'm hoping to get it all put back together tommorow but its gonna be rough I can tell. Good thing is my engine looked flawless from underthere no gunk no nothing only thing that botherd me is there was a round plastic thing laying in the pan thinking that it might be part of the low oil senor but I'm not quite sure any ideas on that?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Was the round plastic thing cylindrical? It could be the plastic coupler that holds the oil pump drive shaft to the oil pump.

Do yourself a favor and buy a nice Canton oil pump driveshaft with a METAL coupler. Theyre about 12 bucks.

Oh, and you can check the oil pump for wear - you can check the clearances on the gears with a feeler guage. Im not sure what the specs are off hand, but I think they are in the Haynes or Chiltons manual. If you cant find them, I will look and post them for you.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I already checked and thats not the coupler. It is cyndrical plastic with a hole in the middle which has a metal sleeve. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking its just part of the low oil sensor but I'm not sure.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 94 formula
        I already checked and thats not the coupler. It is cyndrical plastic with a hole in the middle which has a metal sleeve. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm thinking its just part of the low oil sensor but I'm not sure.
        Post a picture of it. "1000 words"
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I'll get one up it'll just be a few days I don't have a digital camera . Does anyone have a link to anysites that might have pictures of the stuff thats inside the oil pan I could probably tell from there.

Comment

low oil pressure?

Hey 94 , I just swapped out a lt1 for low oil pressure. I found the problem to be the oil filter housing cracked. It had an oil cooler that fit in between the filter housing and the oil filter and I'm thinking that somehow the filter may have hit somthing and the leverage may have cracked the housing. I hope this info helps you out. LD

Comment

I got it all back together tonight except for the exhaust and putting in fluids I'll see how it workstommorow. I think mine was actually the bolts on the pump being loose. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Got it all together today and am so happy with it. It holds around 30-35 psi at idle and any little bit of gas puts it to well over 40. Anything over 2k rpms and your up in the 60-80 psi range. Roads are wet so I didn't get on it to much but I can't wait haven't driven the bird hard at all for the last month or so because of being worried about the pump sucking air. I'm sure not worried anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X