Cat converters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat converters

i have a rare dual cat 95 z28 i was wondering if the cats should be replaced cuz i was planning on purchasing a loudmouth and some headers... it has 60k miles i figured since i'll be tearing it apart should i buy some high flow cats or are they just fine?
    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

All 1995 California emissions V8 F bodies were dual cats. When I install headers in this car, a high flow cat will go in too.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

High flow cat and aftermarket Y-pipe combination would definetly complete the exhaust system! A y-pipe and high flow cats can even be a good alternative to headers. What kind of headers are you thinking about going with?
      1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Technically it is illegal to replace the cats unless they are deemed devective by a competant shop. That doesn't mean that people don't do it. I would recommend Random Tech. I have their dual cat Y pipe and cats, there is a SOTP increase in power and the construction is first rate. Their Y pipe relocates the driver's side cat to a position that is right beside the passenger side cat under the passenger floorboard. A more effecient flowing unit to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Technically it is illegal to replace the cats unless they are deemed devective by a competant shop. That doesn't mean that people don't do it. I would recommend Random Tech. I have their dual cat Y pipe and cats, there is a SOTP increase in power and the construction is first rate. Their Y pipe relocates the driver's side cat to a position that is right beside the passenger side cat under the passenger floorboard. A more effecient flowing unit to boot.
          To add to that, here in california it either has to have atleast 50,000 miles and/or deemed defective.
          1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

joe, since the y pipe redirects the cat farther back to the other cat wouldn't it be possible to get 93-95 single cat style headers?
            They seem more efficient to me instead of the wrapping around like the dualcat style...
            Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

There is very little difference in headers in single cat vs dual cat. It's all in the Y pipe flanges. Can you convert to single cat? Yes. Is it an advantage, maybe yes, maybe no. If yours is an original dual cat, I would stay with that to retain emission legality and the fact that even the factory dual cat system was worth 10 HP over the single cat versions.

Comment

Working...
              X