4l60e failures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4l60e failures

i have a friend with a 94 Z and another friend with a 96 t/a and both have rebuilt or replaced their trannies and both have over 100k miles

i recently replaced the 2.73's with some 3.42s and it feels like the tranny wants to hold the gear with partial throttle, and after i let off the gas.
    its almost like i need to flush the tranny but the fluids fresh. maybe i just miss the quietness of the 2.73s but i'm wondering the reliablilty of my tranny and what can i do to prevent it... i've heard that shift kits are better for the tranny becuz they don't let it slip as much...
    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

A harder, quicker shift is better for the tranny. So, a shift kit is a good idea. One of the main problems with the 4L60 is low line pressure, which can be addressed when you have the shift kit installed.

The most important is fluid quality and TEMPERATURE. Change the fluid often and add a trans cooler. This will make your tranny happy for while!
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

how often for the trans fluid?
      Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

I used to do mine at least once a year. More often then not, it would be multiple times a year, because the tranny would be out for one reason or another
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

how hard are the trans coolers to hook up and what size would i need for my z? What kind of shift kits are good? I have the b&m sitting in my closet, but i heard there are better ones out there, and that the b&m isn't that good so i haven't put it in yet.
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
          Traded in: 1998 Z28
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

I have read good things about the TransGo shift kit. Everone that has one seems to like it. I remember Joe1320 posting about programming his auto tranny to perform "like a shift kit". Can this be accomplished with a programmer like pcmforless?
            2001 Sunset Orange Metallic w/Tan interior WS6 Trans Am, 33k, M6, Borla, SLP lid
            buttons in the ashtray and a bottle in the trunk Although I have yet to push it

SOLD: '97 Trans Am, 85k, LT1, A4, 3.23's, 98+ Taillights, SLP CAI, SLP Loud Mouth
            Best of 13.810 @ 100.58 MPH. 2.093 60' See It Here

Comment

i have a hypertech power programmer and it has a shift firmness option now correct me if i am wrong there is a solenoid that increases or decreases the amount of pressure each shift recieves... depending on throttle... now a shift kit i am not familiar can someone explain to me whats the difference?

Comment

Working...
              X