stock spring height

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock spring height

I had installed some QA1's with the eibach drag launch kit, and my car seams to be too low in the front. Does anyone know what the lenght of the springs should be when fully released out of the strut compressor?
    1995 Pontiac Formula Firebird 383 Stroker 11.5:1 compression, ASM Thottle body, Custom Grind Comp Cam, MSD ignition, BMR strut, k-member, Upper and Lower control arms, rear control arms, and still a work in progress.

Re: stock spring height

Originally posted by crazilyconfused
    I had installed some QA1's with the eibach drag launch kit, and my car seams to be too low in the front. Does anyone know what the lenght of the springs should be when fully released out of the strut compressor?
    The only thing I can suggest is to try and contact the manufacturer of the spring/strut (coilover). Not to sure if there will be any info on the net as to the "uncompressed" spring height.

Comment

When I installed the QA1/HAL shocks, with Eibach Pro-Kit, I was extremely careful to locate the QA1 seat/modified stock seat combo in exactly the same height as the stock seat was on the stock shock (see photo). I figured that it would give me exactly the 1.25-1.50" drop that the Pro-Kit was supposed to give. When I got all done, the front end had dropped at least 1.8". Seems like the same problem.

This was easilly (well, I got a few blisters) cured by adjusting the lower seat on the QA1's with the spanner wrench.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

injuneer, did you adjust them out of the car or while they were on the car?? b/c when i tried to adjust it on the car, that little P.O.S. spanner wrench would not turn the seat, did you have the same problem or did i maybe install them wrong?? Also did you use the stock rubber bushing from the bottom part of the strut in the seat of the QA1's? Let me know, thanks.
        1995 Pontiac Formula Firebird 383 Stroker 11.5:1 compression, ASM Thottle body, Custom Grind Comp Cam, MSD ignition, BMR strut, k-member, Upper and Lower control arms, rear control arms, and still a work in progress.

Comment

If you jack up the car and take the weight off the spring, it is a lot easier to adjust. Though you should have done it during assembly, advice is also to use anti-seize on the thin thrust washer (unless you have the newer roller bearing thrust washer). I used the lower rubber spring donut for the stock type springs with my modified lower seats.
          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Yes. You should have coated everything generously with anti-sieze, including the threads of the seat, and the thin thrust ring. Then raise the wheel off the ground, remove the wheel. I found I could get about 1/3 of a turn on the adjusting nut with the QA1 spanner wrench. The QA1 wrench is a piece of crap. I bought a Moroso wrench because it looked better, but haven't used it. Hard to remember, but checking my online install procedure, I see that I included the stock rubber ring as well.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yeah....I did use anti sieze on everything, but the damn thing still won't turn on-car. Actually I used a plumbers wrench on it and that work really well. I'm probably just gonna take them out again and do it over. BTW...there are modified spring cups available for them aren't there?? I think I used to ones that came with the shocks. but they are pretty shallow if I remember correctly. I haven't looked at it in a while.

Comment

I don't know about the alternatives on "cups", but QA1 now sells (as an option, I believe) a thrust washer with tiny roller bearings in it. I helped a friend with his install, and he got them with his shocks.
                Fred

Comment

Did the roller thrust washer make it easier to turn? I also just ordered the spring cups that BMR makes off of the ThunderRacing website. Are those the ones you used? I wanna get my suspension over and done with. I also ordered the airbags for my rear springs b/c the one that eibach puts in the drag launch kit won't hold air for some reason.

Comment

I don't know if the roller bearing thrust rings helped.... he just brought his old spring/shock/seats over to my shop, and I disassembled the stock parts and reassembled the QA1 setup.

I had my stock lower seats (cups) cut down in a lathe, then filed them. Rob/Shoebox cut his down with a hacksaw. Mine cost a couple 6-packs....

This is Rob's picture:

This is my diagram:

Fred

Comment

Working...
                    X