trans problem please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans problem please help

tonight i decided to go to the local racing spot. I got a race and it started fine but when i shifted from second to third, it wouldnt let me into 3rd. I pull over and push the clutch petal in and it is shaking or like vibrating. The car would not go into gear with the clutch held down, however,when i forced it into gear, it went and the car drove fine except for the fact that i had to force it onto every gear. Please help asap if you think you know what this is

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
    Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

If you are experiencing problem with every gear, my bet is a bent fork and bad throwout bearing. There is also the possability of weak hydraulics.

Comment

yeah it happens in every gear. Is it safe to drive to like a repair shop in this condition. I feels really bad having to force the car into gear. I need to know if i have to have it towed or not. Also i know how much the forks are but how much does it cost to put one in.

Comment

ttt... need help guys fast

Comment

There is a way to shift without the use of the clutch. Once the engine rpms reach a certin window in each gear, the gears will mesh. It takes considerable practice and in reality, in this instance I wouldn't mess with it. I would have it towed....... too much grinding and the sycros are going to go away if they haven't already.

Comment

i was thinking that it would be the fork and i just ordered a steel one from d&d performance.

Comment

guess it wasnt a clutch fork. Took off the tranny today and the clutch and it was a suprising sight. The clutch surface was broken off 3/4 of the way around the disk. Upon further inspection, i found that the pilot bearings shot out onto the clutch face and grenaded the surface. The pressure plate and the flywheel have pretty good scorch marks on them too i will put pics up later on. It was pretty depressing. But at least now i know whats wrong with the car. I guess now i have to sell the steel clutch fork.

Comment

Don't be so quick to sell the fork... you're gonna need it.

Comment

yeah well the guy that had it before me already put a steel shift fork in the trans. beside i dont think that the one that i got would fit my car anyways. Ill post a pic soon

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                    There is a way to shift without the use of the clutch.
                    Power shifting, but I heard it's not good for the tranny?
                    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                      No, he was merely trying to suggest a way for him to "limp" it to a local shop.

Comment

It's only power shifting when you don't let up on the gas. If you match the rpms while putting a little pressure on the shifter right as you blip off the gas the trans can shift up or down without the clutch. It's not too hard to do in an upshift, but harder to learn to do a downshift. A race only trick used to be to cut every other tooth off a synchro and make a "slick shift" tranny. Racers that did that only used the clutch in first gear. The indy car drivers have a ignition cutout that automatically activates during a shift to unload the drivetrain. Unloading the drivetrain during a shift is the key. That's why when the clutch is kissing the flywheel or there is a bad throwout, the tranny doesn't want to shift under accelleration - everything deflects due to torque and the linkage distorts (not necessarily the case with a hydraulic unit). this causes the clutch not to engage and makes shifting hard. Then you bend your forks and ruin the brass synchros.

Comment

Its not bad, 18 wheeler drivers use this technique all the time. As long as you do it when the syncros are at the same speed, it wont do damage. You can actually hold the cluch close to the gear you want to shift to, and when they match, it almost pulls it in for you. Used for regular to slow driving... not good for racing.
                          99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
                          X