How bad without alignment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad without alignment?

Tomarow I will be installing all the susp pieces in my sig and was wondering how bad it is to drive around without an alignment? I will prob have to wait 1 week, to next weekend, for the relo brackets to get welded on and get the front adjusted. Will it cause any problems if I wait that long? Thanks for the help.
    97 SS #C007
    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Nothing that I see there should affect yout alignment.

Comment

Just to be clear, are you saying you are installing (Spohn??) WELD-IN relocation brackets, but not welding them for a week? If that's the case, it is not advised. They will be moving all over the place and could damage them or the LCA's. If you mean you will not install the brackets this weekend, simply to next weekend to take them to a shop and have them installed and welded, you are fine.

You would not normally need any sort of front end alignment just because you changed the panhard rod and LCA's. If you are installing "adjustables" on either the PHR or LCA's, you need to make certain they are matched to the stock part lengths when you install them. Matching the LCA's to each other and the stock parts is extremely important with "adjustables". Using different lengths on the two sides could alter the "thrust angle".
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I am sorry. I should have been more specific And I should have noted that I am also installing the eibach pro-kit. I just remember people saying that you need to get a front alignment when the car is lowered. My qusetion should have been, is it ok to wait a week for a front alignment?
        The relo brackets will be welded in when I go for the front alignment next weekend. The LCA are not adjustable. The PHR is single adjustable.
        Sorry if I caused some confusion. My mind think different then the fingers type.
        Thanks for the reply guys and a special thanks to you Injuneer for the suggestion to go with Spohn. They are quality pieces and fit excellent. Tomarow the front gets done.
        97 SS #C007
        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Depends how far you drive with the new lowering springs. A few miles is OK, a long trip could chew the tires up.

You might also want to consider the alignment specs. The stock settings are not all that great to begin with. Lowering the car requires revised specs. When I had the Eibach Pro-kits, I used the following specs, recommended by someone from the board with extensive auto-X experience. I never had any problems with tire wear:

Camber: -1.0deg
          Caster: +4.0deg
          Toe-In: 0.10

There are also some thoughts here:

http://www.f-body.org/faq/4/4_5.htm#ch4_5c

You may also need to find a shop that will work with modified cars.... it took me a while to find one. They would not do it on a "lifetime warranty" basis though, since they were my settings.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I wouldn't drive it without the alignment. Not only will it wear the crap out of the tires, but it will put stess on other componants like ball joints. If something is a little weak, it may weaken it further.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help even with the confusion from my dumb fingers. I will try to keep the milage down and not drive that much. Thanks Injuneer for the specs I will see if the shop can do something like that. The shop I am going to is a good shop that has worked with lots of modified and lowered cars. I have been to them before. Thanks guys appreciate it
              97 SS #C007

Comment

Working...
              X