Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the electrical system be put under strain if I do this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the electrical system be put under strain if I do this?

I was considering moving my battery to the trunk for better weight distribution. But we all know how DC sucks for travel over long distance and well the battery is an important part of the electrical system. So will increasing the distance between the battery and alt put any kind of strain on my electrical system?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Not if you use a heavier gauge cable.

Comment

You realize that if you put it in the hatch, you need a sealed and vented, NHRA approved "battery box", that the box has to be connected to the car with welded J-hooks, or bolts, and that you need a "master disconnect" switch, visible from the back of the car, marked with "on" and "off"? While those are NHRA "tech" requirements, the sealed and vented battery box makes sense for everyone, since a battery can vent explosive quantities of hydrogen - my neighbor lost his shiney new Infinity Q45, and 1/2 of his garage when the battery overcharged, vented hydrogen and exploded about 5 minutes after he parked it in the garage.

You also need to use at least an "0" gauge wire. The popular relocation kits use a 2-gage wire and it is not adequate. You will be adding a lot of extras weight.

An alternative to putting it in the hatch is to get a gel battery, and locate is on its side under the floor of the hatch:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I planed on getting a Yellowtop (dry battery) so I don't have to worry about my car blowing up.
        1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

You don't understand the technology of the Optima batteries. They will still "gas" under excessive charging voltage, and can create an explosive environment in the passenger compartment. They are (wisely) not accepted by NHRA in lieu of a sealed and vented box.

From the Optima web page:
          Does OPTIMA ever Gas?

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the OPTIMA will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.
          My experience with an Optima was very poor.... lasted less than 6 months.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X