Oh crap my Z got flooded today need a little help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh crap my Z got flooded today need a little help

Aaarrrgghhhhh! The parking lot at my work flooded today,before I could get out there, and almost drowned my Z! Then I panic and make it worse. When I call my father and ask him what to do, the water is 2 inches or so up the door panel and rising, he says to try and drive it out before it gets worse. Well stupid me I listen to him forgetting my intake is prolly in the water. (Jeez, I know better!) It starts up for like a second and then stops. After the water went down I pulled the intake and elbow off and there is a little water in there. I try to turn it over and it half turns over then stops. Dang water in the engine. I figure tomorrow I can pull the plugs and turn it over a few times to get the water out, replace the plugs, and it should be fine right? I know people who have done this with jet skis and airboats when they sucked up water. I'm also leaving the intake stuff apart so it can dry out. I'm praying this works so I don't have to file a claim with the insurance or anything. I really like my Z, the previous owner took excellent care of it, and it would be very hard to find one in such good shape. If the engine is toast I'm afraid they'd total it. Anyone have any advice? Anything else that could have been damaged? All the electricals seem fine just won't turn over(tries but won't budge). I would greatly apreciate any advice or help. Thanks in advance..........Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

I'd change the oil too., right there in the parking lot. just to make sure there is no water in the oil.
    82 camaro x2:
    82 z28 w/ 305 (for now) 4 speed saginaw
    82 berrlinetta with 350 .060 over...3 speed auto

The Z28 is back under the knife, after the transmission, now its the entire engine....will post pics when all finished.

Comment

If it got to the opti plan on changine that. Also don't try turning the engine till your sure its dried out. Take out all the plugs and crank the engine some to try to get it out. If you sucked in to much water while it was on it can destroy the eninge but it doesn't really sound like you did. Also if you sucked in water your MAF sensor could be bad. Good luck getting it worked out keep it posted to how you make out.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Make sure you get all the water out of the motor and the tranny and rear end.

Good Luck..
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Thanks guys. I got 6 plugs out so far and ran out of light. Dang these things are a PITA to get out. How do I know if water got into the tranny or rear end? Can I just check the dipstick on the tranny. What would the fluid look like if there is water in it? It got about an inch from the bottom of the bumper in the rear and a little deeper up front becuase of a slight incline. All help will be greatly apreciated. I'm gonna go and suck some more water out of the carpet. Hopefully I'll be back in business tomorrow......Later

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

Any water that mixes with either engine oil or trans oil will turn it milky. If it the trans fluid is clear and red, you should be fine. Any traces of water and a completel flush would be advised.

Comment

Working...
            X