new brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new brakes

i got new front brakes put on and a rear brake adjustment today and the guy is saying that its going to cost me $250?! what does a normal brake job run on a f body.

94 camaro
    00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

Re: new brakes

Originally posted by 94blackbullet
    i got new front brakes put on and a rear brake adjustment today and the guy is saying that its going to cost me $250?! what does a normal brake job run on a f body.

94 camaro
    Pads and rotors are a snap to install in these cars. Do it yourself and save the money. I could do new pads and rotors for less than half that, in under an hour.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

There is no "adjustment" required on the back brakes, unless you were having emergency brake problems.

On the 4th Gens, the rear brakes generally wear out twice as fast as the front brakes. I replaced my back pads at about 55K miles... the fronts are only 1/2 worn at 70K miles.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the rear brakes are "silly" easy. Merely remove the top bolt, pull the pin, and the caliper hinges down. Pull the old pads, install the new ones. Takes almost 30 minutes to do the job. Hawk pads will run about $50 bucks. So, would I spend $200 on labor...not a chance.
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Upgraded pads typically run $45 for the front, $45 for the back. F-body brakes are so easy to work on, you should get a Haynes manual and do them yourself. Rotors are just as easy as the f-body uses a sealed hub and bearing assembly. The rotors just slide on, bolt on the caliper and wheel and you're off!

Comment

thank you all for the advice
            00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

Comment

Working...
            X